Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Folders don't show up in Finder Searches

Hi

I have Mac Book Pro OS 10.8.2.

When I search through finder, folders do not show up, unless I manually go to search options and select- Kind- "Any".

Say for instance I'm search for a folder named "walden". If It type "walden" into the finder, files named "walden" will show up but not the folder itself.

In my old finder, it was easy. You had 2 choices- "contents" and "file name".

Why won't my folders show up?

Thanks

A

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 23, 2013 2:17 PM

13 replies

Mar 23, 2013 2:24 PM in response to Andrew.Scandal

The default search is already Kind is Any, so I'm confused about why you would need to do that.

Typing in the Search field will give you the option of choosing file names or contents.

Also, if you want to do a File Name search, use cmd-ctrl-F.

However, when I type a term into the search field, folders are returned.

There is another thread where the person had the same issue with Spotlight searches. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4912309?answerId=21592327022#21592327022

Mar 23, 2013 2:56 PM in response to Andrew.Scandal

Are you talking about a regular finder window, or after you have used Cmd-F or Find in the File menu?

From what you describe, it sounds like you are editing a saved search, and not just "finding" normally.

When you select Find, you should see something like this:

User uploaded file

Spotlight is the indexing and search technology that Apple uses to find things. You can do a "Spotlight Search" by typing a string into the Spotlight search field in the menu bar.

User uploaded file

Whether you use the Finder, or Spotlight in the menu bar, Spotlight is used to do the search.

Mar 23, 2013 3:00 PM in response to Barney-15E

I'm not sure to be honest. Previously, I just opened a finder window and typed in what I wanted.

I see that if I make a new finder window, it says "all my files" at the top. I guess if I click Cmd-F it changes to search and it says "searching this mac". Then yes it seems the default is "any". Though I don't underatnd why the default function for a "finder" would be anything other than the ability to find something. In other words, why do I need to click Cmd-F just to find with the finder?!

Thanks for all your help.

Mar 23, 2013 3:14 PM in response to Andrew.Scandal

Is the icon on the folder you are opening purple with a gear on it? Or, are you starting from All My Files?

If so, that is a search folder. It already has search criteria defined. That is why you must change it.

You don't have to use Cmd-F, but you do have to start from a normal folder, and not a search folder.

If you are not starting from a Search folder, where are you seeing "Show Search Criteria." I cannot get that anywhere on a normal folder?

Another tip, if you want to search the folder you have selected, open Finder Preferences, Advanced tab, and set "When performing a search:" to "Search the Current Folder"

Or, set it to your liking.

EDIT:

A search folder had a defined search criteria set. It isn't an actual folder that holds files and other folders. It is merely the results of a pre-definded search. If you search a Search folder, you are just adding additional search criteria to the already defined criteria.

When you search a normal folder, it doesn't have any other criteria defined.

Mar 23, 2013 10:05 PM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks so much. Well I guess I'm glad I learned about Spotlight. I had no idea, and that seems to be very useful. And I guess I understand the difference between the normal folder and the search folder.

It just seems odd that when I make a new finder window, it defaults to a search folder that has criteria set to not display "all".

Anyway, i don't really need to understand all of its methodology. I know how to find my folders now, that was my goal.

Thanks Barney!

Mar 24, 2013 9:29 AM in response to Andrew.Scandal

Whatever you'd like it to be. Since it is set to show "All My Files" in any new window, you will always get a Search Folder window when you open a new window.

You can set it to always show your Home folder, or your hard drive, or a folder you pick. Just depends on what you want to see. If you want it to be All My Files, that is fine, just realize it is always a search folder and you will have to modify the search criteria.

I don't like all the stuff shown in All My Files, so I don't even have it show up in the sidebar. I'd rather start from the known actual locations, Documents, Music, Pictures, etc. I have my windows always open to my Home, then I can get to any of the other folders easily.

Nov 27, 2015 12:51 PM in response to Andrew.Scandal

my problem is that 1)command+space bar no longer give me spotlight. 2)And the finder search window no longer shows me the folders.

I solved the problem 1)with setting the Keyboard shortcut back to command+space bar, for some reason, the default on El Capitan is Option+space bar

And 2) in the "view" menu (besides File, Edit ...), I click show "Toolbar".

Folders don't show up in Finder Searches

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.