Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ATV2 dropping off of network as Airplay device

I have a wired home network is wired and airplay streaming from my iMac to my apple TV has worked flawlessly for the last two years. In the last few weeks however, the ATV drops off as an available Airplay device mid stream (from both iTunes 11.0.2 and Airfoil 4.7.2). Its not dropping of the network and its not a home sharing issues (the ATV still lets me navigate my iTunes just fine). Its simply disappearing as an available Airplay device. Resrting the AT makes it reappear but 30-40 minutes into a streaming seesions it will disappear again. Sometimes it will reappear and start up the stream again 20 or more minutes after it dropped off but usually not.

I can't say that this is a reault of an update (don;t remember exactly when the last updates were) but it sure seems like it given how flawlessly airplay streams have worked up till now. There are no new updates on the ATV, or in iTunes or in Airfoil that I can see.

Anybody have a clue what's going on?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 27" 3.06 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 8 GB RAM

Posted on Mar 23, 2013 3:48 PM

1 reply

May 19, 2013 6:27 PM in response to ggarness

I too am experiencing this issue, with both an Apple TV and my Airport Express. I at first thought it was Airfoil dropping connection, but noticed the devices aren't listed in iTunes either.

In all cases, I've had to restart either my computer or wait 15+ minutes for them to reappear as an Airplay option. Also, the Airport Express is still listed and accessible via Airport Utility, so it's clearly an issue with the Airplay functionality.

ATV2 dropping off of network as Airplay device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.