Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Adjust Date and Time adjusting masters when it is not supposed to?

Hello all,

It's been a very long time since I've visited our wondergul forum, and I am unfortunately here to seek instead of offer help.

I have changed the timestamp of a number of versions using the "Adjust Date and Time" function. In doing so, I have the "Also change master file" option unchecked.

If I then choose the "Export master" function (and I am using managed masters), the exported master has the new timestamp, not the original timestamp! So, it appears that the "also change master file" function is not working correctly.

Can anyone else replicate this? Does anyone have any suggestions to concerning how I can get back to the real master timestamp? (In other words, I'd like to undo my timestamp adjustments, but it appears Aperture has changed my master.)

thanks,

nathan

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Aperture 3.2.4

Posted on Mar 23, 2013 7:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2013 2:52 AM

Hello Nathan, nice to see you back! And with an intersting problem too 🙂

I could only test with Aperture 3.4.3, not 3.2.4 like your profile signature says, but I found the following.

• If I adjust date and time (with "write to master" disabled) and then duplicate the referenced original master image file using the Finder and import it again, the imported file has the original date.
  • But if I export the image as "Original/Master", then Aperture will write the changed timestamp to the exported image file.

To me this looks like the "Export as original" is not working as expected - the master image file in the library does not change, but the exported copy of the original will be updated.

Regards

Léonie

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2013 2:52 AM in response to Mr Endo

Hello Nathan, nice to see you back! And with an intersting problem too 🙂

I could only test with Aperture 3.4.3, not 3.2.4 like your profile signature says, but I found the following.

• If I adjust date and time (with "write to master" disabled) and then duplicate the referenced original master image file using the Finder and import it again, the imported file has the original date.
  • But if I export the image as "Original/Master", then Aperture will write the changed timestamp to the exported image file.

To me this looks like the "Export as original" is not working as expected - the master image file in the library does not change, but the exported copy of the original will be updated.

Regards

Léonie

Mar 24, 2013 2:18 PM in response to léonie

Leonie,

Thanks for the reply. I am indeed still using Aperture 3.2.4. (I have not upgraded my Mac OS to a version which can support anything newer than 3.2.4, and I was not even aware that there were newer versions of Aperture until a few weeks ago, since Software Update does not look for it on my computer.)

The behavior in 3.4.3 and 3.2.4 sounds the same. Your post made me think of something that might make it a bit easier for me to "undo" my date/time adjustments. As I mentioned, I let Aperture manage my masters. However, based on your post, I relocated all the masters for the project in question, so they are now referenced. They are unchanged. The timestamps on the photos (EXIF data) as well as the files' timestamps have not changed.

So, my 3.2.4 experiment agrees with your 3.4.3 experiment -- the originals are not changed, but the export of the original is modified upon export.

So, given all this, can someone help me get Aperture to use the masters' timestamps. Not sure if there's a brilliant way to do this. It seems to be the only adjustment which is not stored as a "recipe".

nathan

Mar 24, 2013 3:01 PM in response to Mr Endo

So, given all this, can someone help me get Aperture to use the masters' timestamps. Not sure if there's a brilliant way to do this. It seems to be the only adjustment which is not stored as a "recipe".

I found that Aperture will update the EXIF and the date in the versions to the corresponding fields in the original master image file, when I use the Terminal command "touch" on the master file.

I use this to force Aperture to recognize changes written by exiftool to the original master image files, and it also seems to work for the "capture date" tag.

What I do:

• Open a Terminal window.
  • Enter the text:
    touch
  • Then I press the spacebar and drag the referenced master image file into the Terminal window to enter the pathname to the file and press "return".

In Aperture I see that the "Date" metadata field now matches the "capture date" of the master image file.

Try it. I am curious, if it will work in your version as well.

Regards

Léonie

Apr 6, 2013 7:04 PM in response to léonie

Fantastic, Léonie!

I thought about your suggestion and improved upon it for my own purpose. (Yes, my version of Aperture behaves the same as yours.)

I started this thread to begin with because I am a bit obsessive about the timestamps of my pictures. This includes timestamps of my files, too. As you and I know, the purpose of the Unix "touch" program is to set the timestamp of a file to the current time. So, I was creeped out by the thought of losing my original file timestamps (even though I knew the EXIF "time of creation" would be unaffected by "touch" or by Aperture).

I realized that your suggestion works because of the change in file timestamp. Obviously, a change in the content of the file without a change in the timestamp will not force Aperture to update anything. (Or else you wouldn't have a reason to come up with your set of steps to begin with!)

Your remark about ExifTool gave me an idea. I used ExifTool to manipulate the file's timestamp. Yes, it's weird, but ExifTool will allow you to change the filesystem timestamp of a file, even though it has nothing to do with EXIF. Basically, it's metadata, so ExifTool will allow you to change it.

So, I did this:

• Open Terminal
  • Change to directory that contained the referenced masters for my project (It has nothing else -- only masters from the project in question)
  • Run ExifTool: exiftool -FileModifyDate+=0:01 *

This changes the filesystem timestamp of all files by adding 1 minute to the timestamp

• Go to Aperture and scroll through all of my pictures in the project so that Aperture rereads the files.

This is the crux of your suggestion -- it makes Aperture reread the file creation timestamp in the EXIF data, which is exactly what I was hoping to do.

• Run Exiftool again: exiftool -FileModifyDate-=0:01 *
    • This subtracts 1 minute from the filesystem timestamp of all files
    • This gets my file system timestamp back to exactly its original value, and I am happy!
  • Scroll through the pictures again to force Aperture to reread the files, since I know Apeture will want to do it at an inconvenient time otherwise.

Thanks again for your suggestions! My files' timestamps are back where they should be without losing any other changes I have made within Aperture.

nathan

Apr 6, 2013 10:44 PM in response to Mr Endo

Your remark about ExifTool gave me an idea. I used ExifTool to manipulate the file's timestamp. Yes, it's weird, but ExifTool will allow you to change the filesystem timestamp of a file, even though it has nothing to do with EXIF. Basically, it's metadata, so ExifTool will allow you to change it.

That is cool, Nathan! 😎

The missing link!

Léonie

Is Adjust Date and Time adjusting masters when it is not supposed to?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.