Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SSD in MBP early 2011 optical drive

i have an i7 macbook pro that has been very tired lately from video editing and photoshop

i have a 500 gb hdd that i want for random files (current hard drive)

i want to run adobe premiere, photoshop and larger files from the ssd

i will be putting the ssd in the optical drive of the MBP, leaving the hdd in its place

how can i leave my old hard drive in and tell my computer to now boot from the new ssd ?

also can i just drag and drop premiere/lightroom/photoshop from current drive into ssd once completed

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 24, 2013 2:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2013 2:21 AM

First off, I would NOT put the SSD in the optical bay - MacBook Pros MUCH prefer to have the boot disk in the hard drive bay - where it's supposed to be. A lot of people have had trouble with trying to boot from a storage device in the opti-bay. It may work for a while, but it usually gives you problems down the road.

So just put the SSD in the standard hard drive bay, put your hard drive in the optical bay and install OS X and all of your apps on your SSD; leaving your HD for storage.

When you install the SSD you can simply hold down the option key to boot from your 'old' drive in the opt-bay, format the SSD using Disk Utility and either clone your HD to your SSD or make a clean start of it and install ML on the SSD and then begin installing your apps on the SSD. If you're getting a 512GB SSD, you may just want to use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your old drive to the SSD. If your SSD is going to be smaller, just install everything 'fresh'.

No, you can't just drag and drop the Adobe applications. They have tons of auxiliary files and folders that are stored all over your drive.

Oh, and after you have your SSD prepared as a boot disk, you can simply go to System Preferences>Startup Disk and select it as the boot disk.

Call back with any questions...

Clinton

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2013 2:21 AM in response to DoubleD629

First off, I would NOT put the SSD in the optical bay - MacBook Pros MUCH prefer to have the boot disk in the hard drive bay - where it's supposed to be. A lot of people have had trouble with trying to boot from a storage device in the opti-bay. It may work for a while, but it usually gives you problems down the road.

So just put the SSD in the standard hard drive bay, put your hard drive in the optical bay and install OS X and all of your apps on your SSD; leaving your HD for storage.

When you install the SSD you can simply hold down the option key to boot from your 'old' drive in the opt-bay, format the SSD using Disk Utility and either clone your HD to your SSD or make a clean start of it and install ML on the SSD and then begin installing your apps on the SSD. If you're getting a 512GB SSD, you may just want to use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your old drive to the SSD. If your SSD is going to be smaller, just install everything 'fresh'.

No, you can't just drag and drop the Adobe applications. They have tons of auxiliary files and folders that are stored all over your drive.

Oh, and after you have your SSD prepared as a boot disk, you can simply go to System Preferences>Startup Disk and select it as the boot disk.

Call back with any questions...

Clinton

Mar 24, 2013 2:31 AM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

i have the crucial 256gb ssd coming monday from amazon

and optical caddy

so all 500 gb will not fit obviously on the ssd

so i really want to only use a small portion of the ssd and have a majority of the files on the old hdd

should i just boot first time holding option

install lion onto ssd from an external hd (lion still in my purchases from itunes)

sytem preferences> boot from ssd

find the dmg files from old hdd and fully reinstall premier and photoshop on new ssd?

Mar 24, 2013 2:38 AM in response to DoubleD629

Go ahead and install the SSD (by the way, I love my Crucial SSD!) in the hard drive bay and the 'old' HD in the opti-bay.

Hold down the option key after installation and boot from your old HD. Use Disk Utility to format the SSD - "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" with a single GUID partition. Download Lion (or Mountain Lion? Whichever is in your Purchases tab from the Mac App Store) and after it is downloaded, point the installation to the new SSD. After installation, you can go to System Preferences and select the SSD as your boot drive.

Boot to your SSD and either find the dmg files for your Adobe software or download anew from Adobe. Install the apps on your SSD.

You should be up and running in no time!

Clinton

Mar 24, 2013 2:52 AM in response to DoubleD629

I thought you meant ML!

You'll love the SSD... I don't do a lot of video work but I am a heavy user of most of Adobe's software. I didn't know what speed was until I installed my SSD - about a month after getting my newest MacBook Pro. Crucial drives just don't seem to have the problems that others encounter with SSDs... and you can update the firmware, when needed, using your Mac - NOT having to rely on a Windows machine. I'm just waiting for the day when Crucial starts shipping the new 960GB M500 SSD... it's was announced in January or February and I just can't wait to get my hands on one!

Enjoy the speed...

Clinton

SSD in MBP early 2011 optical drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.