Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Libraries

Hello all.

My photographs are taking up too much space on my harddrive and I want to use an external harddrive for the libraries.

I have always had vaults on an external harddrive, and right now, I have identical vaults on two different harddrives (while I go through the changes, just to make sure)

What I also need to do, is to reformat my harddrive.

Would it be ok to do this:

-delete the libraries on the internal harddrive

-create a new backup on Time Machine

-reformat harddive

-start again, using the last backup on the Time Machine

-use the libraries (vaults) on the external harddrive as libraries

?

I would really appreciate any advice on the process.

I have read that it could be a good idea to use something called referenced files on the internal harddrives and originals on external. Admit, that I am not sure about the process in doing that.

Thank you in advance.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), Apple LED Cinema Display (27)

Posted on Mar 24, 2013 3:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2013 4:43 AM

H, gudrung,

I am not sure I understand your plan fully:

Let me see, if what I understood is correct:

• Your Aperture Libraries (managed) are on your internal disk right now and getting too large.
  • You have two external drives, with backup vaults of your Aperture libraries.
  • And now you want to move your Aperture libraries to an external drive.

-reformat harddive

What I do not understand, is why you want/need to reformat your (internal?) hard drive?

To move your Aperture libraries to an external drive is actually rather simple:

• Make sure the drive you want to use with the Aperture Libraries is formatted Mac OS X extended.
  • Make sure you have a current, working backup of the Aperture libraries.
  • Drag the libraries using the Finder to the drive where you want them.
  • Double click a library after moving it to open it in Aperture and test it thoroughly.
  • If it is working, you can delete the original from your internal drive.

I have read that it could be a good idea to use something called referenced files on the internal harddrives and originals on external.

Referenced files can be useful, if you want to keep the Aperture library on the internal disks, but the original on an external. This way you can browse and tag your photos using the previews, even with the drive with the original files not connected, see this paragraph in the user manual:

Aperture 3 User Manual: Working with Referenced Images

Post back, if you have more questions.

Regards

Léonie

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2013 4:43 AM in response to gudrung

H, gudrung,

I am not sure I understand your plan fully:

Let me see, if what I understood is correct:

• Your Aperture Libraries (managed) are on your internal disk right now and getting too large.
  • You have two external drives, with backup vaults of your Aperture libraries.
  • And now you want to move your Aperture libraries to an external drive.

-reformat harddive

What I do not understand, is why you want/need to reformat your (internal?) hard drive?

To move your Aperture libraries to an external drive is actually rather simple:

• Make sure the drive you want to use with the Aperture Libraries is formatted Mac OS X extended.
  • Make sure you have a current, working backup of the Aperture libraries.
  • Drag the libraries using the Finder to the drive where you want them.
  • Double click a library after moving it to open it in Aperture and test it thoroughly.
  • If it is working, you can delete the original from your internal drive.

I have read that it could be a good idea to use something called referenced files on the internal harddrives and originals on external.

Referenced files can be useful, if you want to keep the Aperture library on the internal disks, but the original on an external. This way you can browse and tag your photos using the previews, even with the drive with the original files not connected, see this paragraph in the user manual:

Aperture 3 User Manual: Working with Referenced Images

Post back, if you have more questions.

Regards

Léonie

Mar 24, 2013 5:10 AM in response to léonie

Thank you Léonie, I am glad for the help.

I just picked up the machine from repairs, with a new logicboard. The apple repairmen recommended that I reformat the internal drive.

Aperture really slows everything down, having so many photos (23.000) and I thought using an external would speed things up a bit. "They" wanted me to go for more RAM, but I cannot see why 2x2gig would not be sufficient.

I tried making the "move" in finder, but it was going to take hours and hours. That is when I thought I could use the vaults that I have, that it would take less time.

When you say "working backup" do you mean vaults, or ..?

Best,

gudrung

Edit: can I edit the shots, using a referenced library, or just tag and so on? g

Message was edited by: gudrung

Mar 24, 2013 5:55 AM in response to gudrung

The apple repairmen recommended that I reformat the internal drive.

Did he say why? Is there an indication that the file system is corrupted? Otherwise it may not help much with slowness. Or did he mean a clean install; wipe the drive, and install everything new to remove older software? But then migrating from a Time Machine backup will only copy your older software back and not help.

"They" wanted me to go for more RAM, but I cannot see why 2x2gig would not be sufficient.

Aperture can work with 4GB RAM, but only of you do not open other applications like Safari while running Aperture. 4GB was o.k. with Snowleopard, but I see you upgraded to Mt. Lion. The newer MacOS Version are using more RAM. I found Aperture barely usuable with only 4GB and upgraded all Macs to at least 8GB. You can check with the "Activity Monitor" (a utitility program in Applications > Utilities) how much RAM is used. here is an example. Aperture is just sitting there, doing nothing, and already using 1,55 GB RAM. Click the Real Mem column to sort your running processes by memory usage. The Safari processes are also using plenty of RAM, also Mail. There is not much left for the operating system.

User uploaded file

Aperture really slows everything down, having so many photos (23.000) and I thought using an external would speed things up a bit.

When you move the library to an external drive, it may even be slower. Access to an external drive is slower than to an internal, unless you have a very fast connection.

But (23.000) images is not a library size that should Aperture slow down.

Aperture is a program for professionals and designed to cope with libraries of several TB size.

So there is probably something wrong with your Aperture Library. Maybe it needs repairing. Have you used the First Aid Tools lately and reaired or rebuild the library? If not, I'd try that as a precaution before moving the library.

That is when I thought I could use the vaults that I have, that it would take less time.

You can use the vaults, but not directly. The vaults need to be restored as a library, and that may take more time than simply copying.

When you say "working backup" do you mean vaults, or ..?

I meant any backup you have. Try to access your vaults in aperture, update them or something, to be sure, aperture will recognize them. Check the sizes of the vaults, to see, if they are large enough to contain all images.

Edit: can I edit the shots, using a referenced library, or just tag and so on?

You can tag, browse, use the images in the media browser, as screensaver, but not edit or export. For that you will need to connect the external drive. I keep all images that still need editing as managed on my MacBook Pro, and the older images are referencing a second drive.

Regards

Léonie

Mar 24, 2013 6:19 AM in response to léonie

Thank you for a thorough answer.

No, they did not say why, just that it was a good idea.

I was in contact with Aperture support in Ireland, about the slowness and the crashes, and they said 4 gig was enough, before mountain lion and after.

I have done all the three alternatives that come up when starting in that way, none of it helps.

The thought of using the same backup and then using/installing the same "problems" again, did enter my mind 🙂

Maybe I will just let this wait a bit and contemplate on getting more ram in a while, it would of course be good for all the rest, not just aperture. See if a new logicboard has done good.

Looking at the activity does suggest that Aperture uses a lot of juice at times, but not terribly much.

Thank you again and have a happy Easter, when you get that far.

gudrung

Libraries

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.