Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A lot of mail is bouncing back. message: Your access to this mail system from 17.158.161.5 has been rejected due to the sending MTA's poor reputation." What should I do?

By the way, I have OSX 10.6.8, and just use the computer for all my mail.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8), The Macbook is my second computer--

Posted on Mar 24, 2013 3:22 AM

38 replies

Mar 24, 2013 4:50 AM in response to brianfromnewport

I found this:

17.158.161.5 IP Location

17.158.161.5 looks to be located in Cupertino, California in United States based on our research. So far today, there have been 3,868 IP address and website location searches in addition to yours. The information on 17.158.161.5 is presented based on your search. For more information on 17.158.161.5, you can visit the 17.158.161.5 site or IP directly.

Presumably hundreds if not thousands of Apple mac people use this same IP location. Have we all got problems?

Mar 24, 2013 5:06 AM in response to sig

Yes thanks -- I did check that. Thanks for the new link. It says the IP has a poor reputation:

This host is sending spam!

The SenderBase Sensor Network found reports of spam originating from this IP.

What can I do to improve my reputation?

It is possible that a system in your network may be compromised by a trojan, or perhaps there is an open port 25 through which a spammer may be gaining access and sending out spam. The last possibility is that one of your users is sending spam through the IP.

Once the outbound spam issue has been addressed, there should be no further reports of spam originating from the IP and the reputation should then begin to improve.

--------------

Presumably there is nothing I can do? The problem seems to be at Apple's HQ?

Mar 24, 2013 12:20 PM in response to brianfromnewport

Presumably hundreds if not thousands of Apple mac people use this same IP location. Have we all got problems?

That's an apple.com address, presumably an iCloud mail server. The server is rejecting your mail because your outgoing mail server is blacklisted. It's not a problem with your computer. It's a problem in the interaction between Apple and your mail service provider, which is not necessarily the same as your ISP.

Mar 26, 2013 1:03 AM in response to jstephentracy

Have done more checking, and this is the key message: "Your access to this mail system from 17.158.161.5 has been rejected due to the sending MTA's poor reputation." So this IS an Apple problem -- it sounds pretty outrageous to me that they won't check it out in your case if you don't take out a new Apple Care subscription. So there must indeed be thousands of peoplke whose messages are being bounced or termed "undeliverable" because of the poor reputation of the Apple sever. They should just fix it, whether or not you belong to Apple Care. Does anybody from Apple read this thread? How do we get to complain to them directly?

Mar 26, 2013 4:42 AM in response to sig

Not a lot of help, Sig. Sends me round a long convoluted route and ends up suggesting I send something to the Apple Support Community -- which is where I am already....... Does Apple, the richest corporation on Planet Earth, not have any human beings capable of dealing with straightforward troubleshooting? if so, why are they apparently so reluctant to have any contact with Mac users?

A lot of mail is bouncing back. message: Your access to this mail system from 17.158.161.5 has been rejected due to the sending MTA's poor reputation." What should I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.