Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Partitions locked on iMac

I was trying to test out the "Lock" function on my iMac using my iphone. The mac restarted and booted normaly into the OS. But when booting into the Partitions (alt when booting) it always requests the passcode. Also, Find my iPhone also says that the iMac is still locked. How should i go about resolving this issue? I suspect I have fallen thorugh a whole in the system?

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Mar 24, 2013 4:26 AM

7 replies

Mar 24, 2013 7:42 AM in response to Imp68

Just to correct myself, if it was locked with the iphone, it'll boot, but stop you before you get to an actual login screen, wanting the passcode there.

If it's a firmware password, you boot normally, but if you boot with alt/opt, it'll ask for the password before showing the start manager. This seems to be your situation.

If it's locked with an iphone, you'll also experience the latter, but shouldn't be able to get to a desktop at all.

Edit -

By the way, does it accept your pass code? If it does, boot into recovery, select utilities and the firmware password tool. Does it say the firmware pw is off?

If none of this applies to you, the only resolution I know of is a genius bar appointment. Maybe someone else knows a better way.

Partitions locked on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.