Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I back up to external hard drive then go on my mac and delete the photos, on the next time machine back up will it erase the pics i have on the external drive? Or will it simply add the new stuff to it?

If I back up to external hard drive then go on my mac and delete the photos, on the next time machine back up will it erase the pics i have on the external drive? Or will it simply add the new stuff to it?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Mar 24, 2013 8:54 AM

2 replies

Mar 25, 2013 12:56 PM in response to jenturriff

What will happen is that the photos for that date (hour) that they were added to Time Machine would remain on Time machine. But when you deleted the photos from your Mac, the Time Machine backup would reflect the deletion for THAT DATE (hour).

You still could retrieve the photos if you accessed the photos via the prior date (hour) , but not as of the deletion date (hour).

Note that there are some caveats: Time Machine initially stores by hour, then daily etc. Read this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1427

Incidentally the Pondini website is excellent.

Ciao.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.