Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo management question

hi

being new to the Mac environment, I thought I'd better ask this question before importing large number of photos.

I'd like to know how iPhotos manages files. During the course of my family history research, I've created an hierarchy of folders and subfolders on my PC, all organized by various criteria. I'd like to re-create this folder structure in iPhoto, and one of the questions I have is: can I organize my files that contain those images (ie JPG files) into folders on my Mac and then point iPhoto to those folders and import them? Does iPhoto physically move those files I have or does it just create its own internal link to them, without moving the files?

I've done a small test importing a few photos in iPhoto and when I navigate the Finder I don't see those photos appearing as files under the Pictures folder, which makes me think that iPhoto only creates its own link to the files.

I'm also trying to figure out how to delete "untitled events" that iPhoto automatically creates, and cateories such as, "Last 12 months" etc.

Sorry for the long winded question, but I'm sure expert users will provide some direction

thanks

nick

Posted on Mar 24, 2013 10:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2013 10:59 AM

can I organize my files that contain those images (ie JPG files) into folders on my Mac and then point iPhoto to those folders and import them?

Short answer. Yes you can.

Long answer: as you are new to Macs and iPhoto - don't do it. Here's why:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3062728?tstart=0

First off: iPhoto is not a File Manager. It's a Photo Manager. And that Jpeg is not your Photo.

The illustration I use is as follows: In my iTunes Library I have a file called 'Let_it_Be_The_Beatles.mp3'. So what is that, exactly? It's not the song. The Beatles never wrote an mp3. They wrote a tune and lyrics. They recorded it and a copy of that recording is stored in the mp3 file. So the file is just a container for the recording. That container is designed in a specific way attuned to the characteristics and requirements of the data. Hence, mp3.

Similarly, that Jpeg is not your photo, it's a container designed to hold that kind of data. iPhoto is all about the data and not about the container. So, regardless of where you choose to store the file, iPhoto will manage the photo, edit the photo, add metadata to the Photo but never touch the file. If you choose to export - unless you specifically choose to export the original - iPhoto will export the Photo into a new container - a new file containing the photo.

So, import to iPhoto. Let it store the files as it thinks fit. Need to access you photos for something?

For help accessing your photos in iPhoto see this user tip:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-4491

To edit with another app - like Photoshop:

You can set Photoshop (or any image editor) as an external editor in iPhoto. (Preferences -> General -> Edit Photo: Choose from the Drop Down Menu.) This way, when you double click a pic to edit in iPhoto it will open automatically in Photoshop or your Image Editor, and when you save it it's sent back to iPhoto automatically. This is the only way that edits made in another application will be displayed in iPhoto.

My best advice... import 100 photos to iPhoto and explore. You're used to managing files. This is a very different way of working. It may not be for you.

Regards

TD

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2013 10:59 AM in response to nick baccante

can I organize my files that contain those images (ie JPG files) into folders on my Mac and then point iPhoto to those folders and import them?

Short answer. Yes you can.

Long answer: as you are new to Macs and iPhoto - don't do it. Here's why:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3062728?tstart=0

First off: iPhoto is not a File Manager. It's a Photo Manager. And that Jpeg is not your Photo.

The illustration I use is as follows: In my iTunes Library I have a file called 'Let_it_Be_The_Beatles.mp3'. So what is that, exactly? It's not the song. The Beatles never wrote an mp3. They wrote a tune and lyrics. They recorded it and a copy of that recording is stored in the mp3 file. So the file is just a container for the recording. That container is designed in a specific way attuned to the characteristics and requirements of the data. Hence, mp3.

Similarly, that Jpeg is not your photo, it's a container designed to hold that kind of data. iPhoto is all about the data and not about the container. So, regardless of where you choose to store the file, iPhoto will manage the photo, edit the photo, add metadata to the Photo but never touch the file. If you choose to export - unless you specifically choose to export the original - iPhoto will export the Photo into a new container - a new file containing the photo.

So, import to iPhoto. Let it store the files as it thinks fit. Need to access you photos for something?

For help accessing your photos in iPhoto see this user tip:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-4491

To edit with another app - like Photoshop:

You can set Photoshop (or any image editor) as an external editor in iPhoto. (Preferences -> General -> Edit Photo: Choose from the Drop Down Menu.) This way, when you double click a pic to edit in iPhoto it will open automatically in Photoshop or your Image Editor, and when you save it it's sent back to iPhoto automatically. This is the only way that edits made in another application will be displayed in iPhoto.

My best advice... import 100 photos to iPhoto and explore. You're used to managing files. This is a very different way of working. It may not be for you.

Regards

TD

Mar 24, 2013 11:09 AM in response to nick baccante

I'd like to know how iPhotos manages files.

That is a basic understanding that you need to come to understand - iPhoto is not in any way about managing files - it is all about managing photos - You should only import photos into the iPhoto library (not reference them in other o=lcations) and you never access the actual files - you access the photos using iPhoto or the media browser in every open/attach/upload window - see this user tipfor more details

I've created an hierarchy of folders and subfolders on my PC, all organized by various criteria. I'd like to re-create this folder structure in iPhoto,

You can easily reproduce this in iPhoto using albums and folders (albums hold photos - folders hold albums or other folders) - start at the bottom of a treee structure and drag the foder to photos to the album section of the open iPhoto window - this will create an album matching that folder of photos - repeat for the floders at that level and the create a folder in iPhoto (file menu ==> create folder), name it and drag the jsut created albums to it - repeat as needed to complete your structure

You can but if yu are talking about referencing your photos it is very strongly not recommended - if youo are talking aobut importing and copying to the iPhtoo library (defaut and strongly recommended) it will take more effort than the automatic album creating noted above

Does iPhoto physically move those files I have or does it just create its own internal link to them, without moving the files?

It never "moves" the file - it can (and by default does) copy the file to the iPhoto library - you can change it to reference the photo but as noted above that is very strongly not recommended

I've done a small test importing a few photos in iPhoto and when I navigate the Finder I don't see those photos appearing as files under the Pictures folder, which makes me think that iPhoto only creates its own link to the files.

Again by default iPhoto copies the photos to its library - and you NEVER directly access the files - they and in the iPhoto library - a special kind of folder called a package - you can look in it by right clicking on it and showing package contents - but this is not a good idea - you do not access your photos that way and a small user error could destroy your iPhoto library

I'm also trying to figure out how to delete "untitled events" that iPhoto automatically creates, and cateories such as, "Last 12 months" etc.

You can not - thoses are not events - they are smart albums and are part of iPhoto - if you are not interested ignor them - although I think once you learn to use iPhoto you will appriciate them

And it would be a good idea to run thorugh theiPhoto tutorials - they will save you a lot of time and frustration

LN

Photo management question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.