Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have OSX 10.8.3, an Apple Express, and a Brother printer. Prints fine, scanner won't work with "Bonjour". Anybody know a work-around to make scanner work through Airport Express?

I have an Imac with OSX 10.8.3 and a Brother printer/scanner using an Apple Express to print wirelessly. Printing works fine but scanner won't work. Apple says "Bonjour" doesn't support scanning. Anybody know a work-around to make scanning work wirelessly? Alternatively, can I split the single Brother USB port to plug one line into Apple Express and the other to my iMac, the second to print wirelessly and the first to run the scanner?

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), Apple Express for wireless printing

Posted on Mar 24, 2013 12:09 PM

2 replies

Mar 24, 2013 12:34 PM in response to martinoverstreet

As noted in this Apple article, the USB port on the Airport device does not support bidirectional communications, thus stopping the scanning from working.

You cannot do the split with the USB port that you mention, but if the Brother has an Ethernet port then you could use this to connect to the Airport Express and this would permit printing and scanning.

I have OSX 10.8.3, an Apple Express, and a Brother printer. Prints fine, scanner won't work with "Bonjour". Anybody know a work-around to make scanner work through Airport Express?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.