Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV iPad screen ratio

The Apple TV advertising clearly shows the mirrored iPad screen filling the screen of an HD aspect ratio TV. When I view my iPad 3 on my TV there are black boarders either side of the screen. Is there a solution to this problem.

iPhone 3G, iOS 6.1.3, Apple TV aspect ratio

Posted on Mar 24, 2013 1:01 PM

3 replies

Mar 24, 2013 1:35 PM in response to alison_waggie

It's possible they're displaying iPhone 5 mirroring (the iPhone 5 has a different ration)

Also, If the original content on the iPad is widescreen And your TV is widescreen this might be possible. (by playing with your TVs controls)

See discussion from earlier today.:

Ipad3 apple tv synchronisation/mirroring how can i create a full screen view on my tv ?:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4914708

Mar 24, 2013 1:56 PM in response to Alix Leigh

Hi Alix. Many thanks for you answer. As I suspected the performance of this product does not live upto the Apple advertising hype. It's a shame that I will have to adjust my TV every time I want to view my iPad and switch back to view Apple TV content. The advert showing a full screen is at http://www.apple.com/uk/airplay/.

I am very disappointed.

Mar 26, 2013 7:39 AM in response to alison_waggie

Actually Alison, every image in the ad you're referring to is the real deal. When you initially mirror your iPad to your HDTV, yes, you'll get the black letterboxed bars on the left and right while mirroring your home screen. This is the normal behavior because your iPad is not widescreen, and you would not want to s-t-r-e-t-c-h your image. But when you mirror media like video, photos and video games, AirPlay goes into a sort of "media mode" where it actually DOES fill up your entire screen. So widescreen movies actually WILL fill up the entirety of your HDTV screen. This is also true for games built for AirPlay functionality like the games shown in the ad (MetalStorm and Ducati Challenge).

Hope that helps clear up any confusion.

Apple TV iPad screen ratio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.