Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I get a smooth change between clips without using transitions?

Although I use a tripod when recording and I use the software to stabilize image, when I assemble a sequence I always notice an abrupt change from one clip to the next. The effect disappears when using transitions, but I feel that is visually tired to use them all the time. Why should I do to get a smooth change between clips without using transitions?

Final Cut Pro X

Posted on Mar 24, 2013 12:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2013 4:01 PM

You could fade to black or white.

If you have the feeling of the hard cut being too obvious try adjusting the exposure of the image to match the clip being cut to. Also - pay attention to continuity that will "fool' the eye to soften the hard cut...

7 replies

Mar 24, 2013 11:26 PM in response to Dany Badillo

Dany Badillo wrote:

… Why should I do to get a smooth change between clips without using transitions?

You're looking for The Flow btw two shots.

To create the illusion of a continous movement from clipA to clipB, a few things have to be considered (and were mentioned before), on Recording AND on Editing:

• while recording, change position of cam - you can not 'cut' two shots from same place without 'jump'

• keep basics of film language in mind: establishing shot (=where, when), closer shot (=who, why); …

• record 'fillers' - audience, details, reactions (the infamous 'silent-nod-shots' from interviewers 😁)

• for the no-budget filmer: use a cheap still-cam to capture photos from same scenery; use stills to 'hide' jump cuts; on weddings, find some 11y-old assistent for this job - you'll be suprised, what photos will fill your harddrive.-

• in editing, never cut in the same scene (ok, this 'rule' was broken in Hongkong 50 years ago first, to create intentionally 'jump cuts' … if you do KungFu movies .....)

• 'hide' cuts in audio by placing one of your 'fillers' over it - for example: a long (…boring) speach; you record the speaker from one position (to catch audio); you have to cut (=shorten) - place a 'neutral' over it: a conter-shot of sleeping audience, a close-up of the hands of the speakers recorded after the speach, a pan around the flower-arrangement on stage recorded two days before .......

when you start to learn editing, an excellent exercise is

'ManThru Door' (could be a girl either …):

record from outside a person walking to a door, opening it, going through

record from inside a door gets opened, person entering the room

(keep Ben's advice in mind about the 30°-rule for the cam, but don't set the cam-positions 180° against each other, that creates a wrong over-the-axis-jump)

now, in editing, find the 'magic point' when the door moves continously/the person moves continously - that is Flow 😉. When you have found that Magic Point in clipA and clipB, the Trim-tool allows you to find the wanted 'cut' with a single move of the mouse .....

How can I get a smooth change between clips without using transitions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.