Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 5 turning off at 40% battery power

Hi guys.

Today when I played music through spotify to my car audio system (through minijack), my iPhone 5 turned itself off in the same way it does when the battery is empty. At this point, the battery was at 40%. When I tried turning it on immediately after, the 'connect to power outlet' symbol showed up.

I also remember I used the snapchat app at that point.

Now a couple of hours later, I could turn it on normally and I have 40% power left.

At the moment I'm running iOS 6.1.3 and I've never experienced this before.

Has anyone else had this problem? Could it be related to the amount of power drawn through the headphone jack?

Thanks!

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Mar 24, 2013 1:46 PM

61 replies

Feb 21, 2017 4:28 AM in response to DePeX

Sad this is still an issue. I was going to say maybe we can reach out to the app makers like Spotify and Snapchat but if it's multiple apps triggering this shut down then it really sounds like Mac. I'm done with my iPhone5. It has unexpectedly shut off for the last time. But I was considering getting a 6 until I saw this thread. Looks like Apple has no intent to help the issue and I need something better and more reliable like, now.

Feb 21, 2017 3:10 PM in response to macadamea

Sad this is still an issue. I was going to say maybe we can reach out to the app makers like Spotify and Snapchat but if it's multiple apps triggering this shut down then it really sounds like Mac. I'm done with my iPhone5. It has unexpectedly shut off for the last time. But I was considering getting a 6 until I saw this thread. Looks like Apple has no intent to help the issue and I need something better and more reliable like, now.

Edit::: I don't know what to believe, honestly. I've done more research on this and saw a few android users complain about this last minute super battery drain from using Snapchat. Perhaps it really just is Snapchat overpowering the batteries at the lowest charge? I also added a battery health meter to my iPhone5 which says my battery is in great standing for how old it is. It's only got 16% wear on it. My phone is 4-years-old. I was thinking I would, at the very least, need a new battery if I were to keep this older phone and my service. According to the health reader it's fine and doesn't need replaced and according to the android forums, Snapchat is just savage. I still want a newer phone. Still not certain if it'll be an iPhone mostly due to the lack of headphone jack. But I guess I'm more leaning toward the battery / app issue being on the app maker's end.

Apr 1, 2013 11:29 AM in response to DePeX

I managed to re-create this bug!

In the last update of Snapchat, you got the ability to continue playing your music while the app was in use and that's where the problem is.

When using Spotify to play music, while opening a snap in Snapchat, the iPhone turns itself off and doesn't turn on until you've plugged it in to power or wait for several minutes.

Time to fix, Apple? ;)

Apr 28, 2013 9:38 PM in response to DePeX

Has happened again three more times... I cant use any app when the battery level is around 40% or the phone shuts off as though the battery is dead. Today it happened trying to skype. After two hours I was able to turn it back on and the phone said 39%.... then.... three minutes later it was at 4%.

***?? I am taking this hunk of crap back to the store and changing it in for a samsung!

NO attempt from apple to fix this? Blaming it on the app developers likely... take charge apple! Ever since Steve died its been downhill... Mac Book Air keeps giving me trouble too. No support for the Mac Pro line... I am seriously looking at going back to PC.

Very dissapointed. 😟

Jun 17, 2013 9:10 AM in response to DePeX

Same here Iphone shutting down and I can't turn it back on for few hours or days....very annoying. Got nothing from apple to fix it, As you mentionned, the first time I was at 38% battery life and around that charge level today when it turned off.

I work with my phone, everytime that happen I lose money and TIME next time I'll close my apple ID

Sep 19, 2013 7:34 AM in response to DePeX

I have been having the same issue for the past 2-3 weeks, only, my phone shuts off at around 17%. I HAVE to plug it back in and then wait a few minutes until it's ready to turn back on. I don't use snapchat and removed my Spotify a while ago. However, I did, briefly, reinstall Spotify a few weeks ago but I don't recall if the issue was present prior to the reinstall.

Oct 3, 2013 12:22 AM in response to DePeX

I too have had this issue,
iPhone turns off at some random battery percentage, between 45% and 10%
and wont turn back on for a few mins or unless plugged into charge.
This is how I fixed the issue,
In the settings Menu under General, there is the option to turn on or off the Battery Percentage indicator,
Turn it off and straight back on again,
you will find that the battery is in fact dead flat and the percentage indicator is reporting more charge than you actually have.
turning of and on again seems to reset the calabration of the indicator.
and reads correctly there after.

Oct 19, 2013 7:36 AM in response to DePeX

I have had this problem on my iPhone 5 for the last several months but recently the problem has gotten even worse. The first time I noticed it I was outside taking pictures on my phone and it randomly turned off around 20% and when I tried to turn it back on it said I had to charge my phone. My phone was really cold that day when I was outside and I read a thread on here later that night that a lot of people were saying they also had the same problem and maybe it was a result of the cold temperature. This happened in either late April or May and I had, had my iPhone since December. After that event, the problem probaby occurred a hand full of times (it was rare). Then this past summer, the problem starting occuring (it seemed like) every time my phone got too cold. For example, I was at a firework show on the 4th of July and it was really cold outside and (again) I was also taking pictures and videos on my phone and using Instagram then my phone turned off around 20% again. Again, I tried turning it back on and it said I needed to charge it. Thinking this problem was a result of the cold temperature, I warmed the phone up in the car and it turned back on when I tried again but eventually turned off again once it got cold.

A few weeks ago I took my iPhone to the Apple Store and told them about the problem I was having. The Genius checked my phone on the computer there and said that it was showing nothing wrong with the battery. Today this problem has really gotten out of hand. Now my battery percentage will do things like jump down percentages and when the charger is plugged in, it immeaditely jumps back up to a higher percentage. And every time the phone gets to a cold temperature it powers off. The phone's battery will drain quickly and charge unusually quick. At the end of the day my battery will be at around 20% while my friends with iPhone 5's (and older iPhones), there battery will be around 70%. We all use our phones the same amount and charge them overnight. I am currently running iOS 7 but this has been happening since iOS 6. The friends I was referring to are also running iOS 7. THESE PROBLEMS HAPPEN EVERYDAY NOW!! Still not 100% sure what this problem is caused by, although I do have the theory (which has pretty much be proven) about the cold temperature. I think this is only happening to a select number of people because some iPhone 5's must have a defective battery. Today I'm going to the Apple Store again. They WILL be resolving this problem, whether that means replacing my battery or EVEN my phone because I can no longer live with this inconveniencing problem and I am still under warranty.

- Daniel 

Oct 19, 2013 8:06 PM in response to DePeX

This problem has started recently for me on my iPhone 5. I blame iOS 7 since it never happened prior. I was at 40% then it shut down. When I tried to power up, it gave the "connect it to a power cable" symbol. About 1/2 hour later, it let me power it up and showed 40%, but then 1 minute later it shut down again.

Toggling the "Battery Percentage" off and then on as one person suggested did not recalibrate the percentage. I tried it both while plugged in and unplugged. Whether it will prevent random shutdowns remains to be seen, but I'm not optimistic.

Looking for a solution!

Iphone 5 turning off at 40% battery power

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.