Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Send Email in Plaintext through Web?

I'm old school. For various reasons I like my email to be send in plaintext. No fancy fonts - just pure ASCII (or unicode). When I'm using my work laptop with Thunderbird, or Outlook, I know how to set it as plaintext, and the same goes for Apple Mail when I'm at home. But what about when I use iCloud.com's interface? Can I force it to send everything in plaintext, or am I stuck with it sending in HTML?

Posted on Mar 24, 2013 1:51 PM

3 replies

Mar 24, 2013 3:36 PM in response to TechieJustin

The encoding, asci, unicode or whatever, has no connection with the fonts.

iCloud web mail does seem to send both plain text and html copies of messages you compose, but as long as you do not select a font or other styling from the formatting bar, none will appear at the other end. Which copy the recipient mail app uses will depend on its settings, but they should both look identical (i.e. like the plain text one).

Jun 28, 2015 6:37 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

I'm old school as well, and having been an email administrator for about 15 years, albeit on my home email server, I do know a bit about email formatting and how an email is constructed. I've writting scripts to create email from supplied data, including creating attachments, HTML and Plain Text portions, as you say, Tom.

But in my case, having both HTML and a text portion doesn't help, because, and this is just a for instance, but is the reason I need plain text, if you are using an old school email group administrative system, as in Majordomo 1.94.5, which is still around, it won't work because that software, and all others like it, look at the email as we do when we are viewing the email source, or an item in mbox format as a command line. It's a large text file. That's all.

Majordomo reads that large text file a line at a time, and tries to make sense of it. HTML is all throughout the email, and it's not particularly clear which part Majordomo should look at to check for instructions, such as "subscribe emailgroupname" or "unsubscribe groupname" plus many others, such as archive retrieval.

So, our question, as old school guys is, where is a formatting choice that allows us to actually send in plain text without an MIME content whatsoever.

I don't think it exists, so where do we go to post an enhancement request for this product.

Thank you,

Karl

Send Email in Plaintext through Web?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.