Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Flash or OCZ SSD?

I am soon going to college for a dual major of Computer Science and Computer Engineering. By this time I will need a better MacBook Pro than my current 13" 2.3 i5 dual-core, 4GB RAM, OCZ Vertex 3 SSD, Intel Graphics. As I have not seen benchmarks for Apple's "Flash Storage" I'm wondering (with storage as the only concerning factor) if it would be better to get a 15" Retina with Flash or a 15" MBP with Hi-Res screen and put my own SSD in the hard drive bay. Thanks for your input.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 2.3 GHz i5, 4GB RAM, OCZ 120GB SSD

Posted on Mar 24, 2013 3:32 PM

2 replies

Mar 24, 2013 3:48 PM in response to shldr2thewheel

One difference "out of the box" is that the Apple SSD has TRIM enabled. This helps keep it from clogging with data the Operating System considers "deleted data" but does not actively remove. With a third-party drive, Mac OS X does not notify the SSD when data blocks are "deleted".

If you install a third-party SSD, I recommend you install TRIM Enabler. I have found it helpful, but your mileage may vary.

Apple Flash or OCZ SSD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.