Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot upgrade from 10.5.8 to 10.6 - MBP restarts during the installation process and spits the CD out

Hello All,

I have got a problem with upgrading from 10.5.8 to 10.6.

My MacBook Pro is restarting during the installation process and is spitting the installation CD out.

I have tried several times now with no success - at some point MBP restarts and spits the CD out.

My system requirements are fine, my disk is OK too (check with Disk Utility) and my CD/DVD drive seems to be OK too (can play movies etc. with no problem).

Has anyone experienced similar issue? Or could suggest what can be done here to resolve it?

I would be very very grateful for any good advices and instructions!

Best wishes,

Agata

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8), problem with upgrading to 10.6

Posted on Mar 24, 2013 4:55 PM

7 replies

Mar 24, 2013 6:31 PM in response to Agata M.

Agata,

The full retail should be white with a snow leopard on it but if you ordered from the on-line store you should be fine. If it is having problems booting while holding the C key, try restarting the computer but this time hold the Option key.

That will bring up a grey screen with the image of the Macintosh HD and an image of the CD. Click the image of the CD and let it boot that way.

Once booted, go through the install proceedure, choose language, etc. Still using the same CD but let's see if for some reason it does not like the way it is being told to boot.

Ralph

Mar 25, 2013 3:49 PM in response to Agata M.

Agata,

Now that you have 10.6.3 running, click the apple in the left side of the menu bar, Software Update and you can on-line download and update to 10.6.8. That is the last of the Snow Leopard line...if you ever decide to go to Lion, and your MBP can do so, you must have 10.6.8 as the base on which Lion will build.

The update to 10.6.8 is free and has a lot of fixes in it...you want the Combo updater so you do the update in just one download.

It has been a pleasure helping sort out the problems you were having.

Ralph

I cannot upgrade from 10.5.8 to 10.6 - MBP restarts during the installation process and spits the CD out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.