Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pro at home, Air at work, how to share files?

I have a macbook pro that has all my files on it, I sgot sick of carrying it around, so I bought a macbook air yesterday. I don't want to "transfer" my files, because I still use them both. In short, the pro is home computer, the air is new office computer. I need access to all my files on my pro on my air now, what should I do?

MacBook Air (11-inch, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Mar 24, 2013 4:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2013 4:31 PM

Any drive (flash stick, external drive) formatted as "Extended Journaled" can plug in to share files.

8 replies

Mar 24, 2013 10:24 PM in response to marlalouise

If you leave your MacBook Pro at home connected to power, you can use Back to My Mac to access its files, and even use it as if you were physically present, from your MacBook Air at the office.

OS X Mountain Lion: Use Back to My Mac

Setting up and using Back to My Mac with an AirPort base station or Time Capsule

OS X Mountain Lion: Share your screen using Back to My Mac

OS X: Using and troubleshooting Back to My Mac with your iCloud account

Mar 26, 2013 8:48 AM in response to marlalouise

You have 2 different issues. First is how to get stuff from the MBP to the MBA. The setup/migration assistant copy data, they don't move it from one computer to the other. So you may safely use the setup assistant when you get the computer or use the migration assistant afterwards to move your stuff to the new computer.

The second issue is keeping the two computers in sync - when I first began using both a desktop and a notebook this was a maior headache. If you are willing to use the cloud it is now easy. If you don't already have an iCloud account, get one. It is free and the easy way to keep your contacts, calendar, notes, and lots of other data synced. However it probably isn't going to be your only solution because not all software is cloud compliant - Microsoft I'm talking to you.

I use DropBox to sync my two computers - the only data I have that's too sensitive to put into the cloud is data that only needs to be on my deskop computer anyway. There are several products similar to DropBox but I find DB to be the simplest and most reliable - I've tested several.

You can also use 'sneaker net' - use a thumb drive to transfer data from one to another - what a pain. I always found that I either didn't remember to put it on my thumb drive or when I thought of it I didn't have it handy. At one time I use folder syncing software to keep my data in sync but it was cumbersome and I often remembered that I needed to sync when I wasn't near my desktop.

Pro at home, Air at work, how to share files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.