Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot download podcasts in iTunes 11

I recently reinstalled Mac OS X on my Macbook, and now I can't download any podcasts in iTunes. Whenever I click on the "download" button next to an episode, nothing happens but an exclamation point immediately shows up to the left of the episode title. I assume this is some sort of error message but I cannot figure out how to get any more details about what is going wrong. I can double-click on the same episode and listen to it streaming without any problems. At first I thought this might be some sort of permissions issue with the folder where I save my podcasts since I've had a few of those issues with files I backed up before the reinstall, but I ran "Repair Disk Permissions" and also manually went into the "Podcasts" folder and changed all of the permissions to "Read & Write" and I'm still having the same problem. I also tried upgrading from 11.0.1 to 11.0.2 and no luck. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this or how I can get more information on the error?

Thanks,

--Jay

MacBook (13-inch Aluminum Late 2008), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Mar 24, 2013 6:30 PM

12 replies

Mar 29, 2013 3:07 PM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Thanks, Roger -- for some reason I am not getting anything when I click on the !-in-circle. I also tried right-clicking on it, but nothing shows up in the menu to provide details about the problem. When I double click on the episode, it starts playing. I am assuming this is streaming because it starts immediately and the "download" button is still there on the right. This is in my Library, on podcasts I've subscribed to, not in the iTunes Store.

Mar 29, 2013 3:15 PM in response to jsulzmann82

Double-clicking does download the episode, playing it as it does so (you should see the progress in a little circle to the left of the title): I don't know why the download button doesn't work - it certainly should do so. You can get round this by double clicking the episode and then hitting the space bar to pause it - it will go on downloading and be available to play when required.

Mar 29, 2013 4:00 PM in response to jsulzmann82

I'll correct what I said before - I was misled when I checked into this. Double-clicking does stream and not place the file in the library (I don't know what happens when you've played it all but probably it just disappears). On the other hand I had no difficulty downloading an episode, and when first subscribing the top episode downloaded automatically. You say this happens with all your podcasts, in which case it can't be a peculiarity with the actual podcast; and your Permissions have nothing to do with it, they apply to files actually on your hard disk.

My guess would be that something has become corrupted, most likely the Preferences. Try quitting iTunes and going to (user)/Library/Preferences and removing to a folder somewhere else all files beginning with com.apple.itunes (there may be quite a lot of them). Then try it all again. You could test it by going to my iTunes Store page:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-sound-of-78s/id166389425?mt=2

and subscribing from that, as I know that works. If it now works for you, then just trash the prefs files - obviously you will have to reset any settings.

(Apple have hidden the user’s Library folder in Lion and Mountain Lion to casual viewers, in an attempt to stop new Mac users messing their machines up. To access it, in the Finder go to the ‘Go’ menu and hold down the Option (Alt) key; the Library folder will appear as a choice.)

Apr 19, 2013 2:30 PM in response to jsulzmann82

The issue is the permissions of the iTunes library file. Run Disk Utility and repair permissions on your system drive. If that doesn't work, you need to start up from the Recovery Partition. Hold down the alt/option key during start up and select the Recovery Drive from the choices that will appear. Then run its Disk Utility and repair permissions on your system drive. This corrected the problem on both of my systems.

Apr 22, 2013 9:09 AM in response to theroguemusiclab

It was a permissions issue. I'm on Windows 8. I had to change the permissions on the folder where my music was stored. Specifically I believe it was the ".iTunes Preferences.plist" file that was causing the problems. Not sure how the permissions got messed up on that folder, but once I gave myself full permissions on that folder and all sub folders I was able to download pocasts and audible books again.

Apr 22, 2013 4:07 PM in response to DukeToma

Okay, I finally got it fixed. I uninstalled iTunes 11 and installed iTunes 10.7, at which point I was able to get an actual error message that allowed me to find this thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4023481?start=0&tstart=0. The key was that I had to reset the permissions on my user folder, then click the gear under "Sharing & Permissions" and select "Apply to enclosed items." And then do the same thing for the Users/Shared folder. For whatever reason, running "Repair Disk Permissions" (either from regular Disk Utility or the Recovery Drive) didn't fix the problem, although it kept identifying and supposedly repairing problems with iTunes.

Apple really needs to fix the glitch that prevents the error message from displaying in iTunes 11...

Cannot download podcasts in iTunes 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.