Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

character duplication on man pages piped to open -f

Friends and experts

Curiously, if you pipe any man page to open -f you get a duplication of characters in certain fields. For example, try

man osadecompile | open -f

which gets something like this:

User uploaded file

Obviously, the duplication doesn't arise if the command goes to standard output, so it must be something to do with either the way 'open' deals with the input or the text editor (in this case, TextEdit.app) deals with the open -f command.

I would like to find a way to stop this happening, but I'm at a bit of a loss for the cause let alone the solution.

Any thoughts?

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 24, 2013 10:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2013 2:28 AM

[ZSH-5.0.2] ~ % man osadecompile | col -b | open -f
6 replies

Mar 25, 2013 4:01 AM in response to Mark Jalbert

Yikes. 😮

Not familiar with Z shell. Anyway to do this in regular Bash? Alternatively, can I invoke Z shell via applescript's ''do shell script" command, and if so, any idea how?

OK, never mind. Figured all that out. Just need to type ZSH at the Terminal prompt to invoke the Z shell. Yes, works a treat. Question remains - anyway to do this with the Bash shell (I'm not sure all my users are going to have Z shell on their systems. Possible, but not as certain as that they'll have Bash).

character duplication on man pages piped to open -f

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.