Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP doesn't see Nikon D5100 in Finder/Disk Utility

I went through quite a lot of forums and topics but none seemed to describe the issue with my mac or give any solution to it. I hope somebody here can help. I've got a new MacBook Pro (2 months old) and a Nikon D5100 camera with a 4GB SDHC ScanDisk card. I have recently formatted my card (through the camera), and since then my mac doesn't recognise the camera when I connect it through the USB cable. (Just to be clear - before the format everything was perfectly well, I had no issues at all.) It's strange because the mac sees the camera in Image Capture, but not in Disk Utility. When I insert the SD card straight through the card slot, it is recognised in both Disk Utility and Image Capture. It's annoying because inserting and ejecting the card is damaging it, and it's much easier to connect the camera through the USB (and there is also a known issue of macs not reading the cards properly when inserting them in the reader tiny bit too deep) . Obviously the fault is not in the USB cable or in the card. It is not the question of settings in View Options (CDs/External Disks) as I can't see it in Disk Utility. Could it be the Nikon Software (but where?) or is there a setting in my mac that I don't know about? Anyone with similar problems?

I tried to format the card through Disk Utility - MS DOS Format (FAT32), but it didn't work. I re-installed the ViewNX2, but it didn't help (I don't think it has anything to do with the camera just being seen in Disk Utility). I re-started my mac with the camera connected, but it didn't work. There is a table to show when the mac recognizes specific devices. Anyone has any clues?

camera (USB)
SD card (card reader)
Desktop NO YES
Sidebar NO YES
System Info YES (camera), NO (card) NO (camera), YES (card)
Disk Utility NO YES
Image Capture YES YES

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Mar 24, 2013 9:07 PM

7 replies

Nov 3, 2016 4:02 PM in response to sanchwas

I have the same problem. I can see the picture through OSX Photos and in my camera, but I cannot see some of them in the Finder,

I am connecting and SD card straight into my macbook pro. Pictures were taken with a Nikon D5100.

Anty alternative of how to download the images? I cannot find the way to download them to my hard drive using Osx Photos.

MBP doesn't see Nikon D5100 in Finder/Disk Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.