Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I burn docs to cd.

Good Morning, I am trying to burn some docs to a cd so thaty they can be read on a pc. When I try the docs come out as tef files and are unreadable on a pc.

Any suggestions? thanks

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), iMac 11,1 Intel Core i5. 2.66GHz

Posted on Mar 25, 2013 2:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2013 2:29 AM

Use Disk Utility to burn your files or folders but what a waste of time and disk, just drag or save the files to a USB flash drive if you don't have a network connection.

Peter

18 replies

Mar 25, 2013 2:53 AM in response to wilfredfromcastleford

Thanks Peter for a quick reply. Unfortunately in 'Disc utilities', the docs I want are all greyed out, god knows why. Surely it should be simpler than this. Days like today I feel like going back to PC. Another niggle is that every time I open Pages the iCloud window opens and it only has the docs I've created since I joined iCloud. So I have to root around for stuff. I'm really ticked off with Apple today, so much for the much vaunted 'drag and drop' system all I want to do is copy three xxxx Pages files to a xxxx disc.

Wilf

Mar 25, 2013 3:16 AM in response to wilfredfromcastleford

You are not giving me much to go on as you haven't really told me what you are doing except in vague terms.

Are you still in OSX 10.6.8 because it sounds like you are using 10.7 or 10.8.

In the Open dialog box there should be several options at the top of your dialog, iCloud is only one of them.

I am not running OSX 10.8 at the moment so can't give you a screen grab.

You should add other popular locations by dragging them into the Finder Sidebar which also appears in the dialog boxes.

To burn anything on a Mac, insert a CD/DVD, select a folder of your files, right mouse click and choose Burn "X" to disc. Disc Utility does the rest.

How long have you been using a Mac, and did you ever have anyone show you how to use it? Most PC users look for wizards etc which are redundant on the Mac as most, not all, functions are more direct.

I still don't get why you are wasting a CD on a simple file transfer. I hope you have exported them to .doc or .pdf for your PC friends.

Peter

Mar 25, 2013 3:26 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

OK Peter, here's the full thing, I want to send three documents by post to someone who does not have an internet connection. Disc is the cheapest way to do this, flash drives being more expensive. That's all I'm trying to do. I tried the drag and drop which resulted in the files being burned as tef files and were not readable in a pc, I tried.

I tried your suggestion of using disc utilities and the docs I want, in fact all my docs, were greyed out. I'm using Mountain Lion 10.8.3. I've had the Mac for about 2.5 years and to be honest while I love it, I find I am constantly having to resort to this forum or others to do what should be quite simple tasks. For example, which is the 'Open' dialogue box you refer to. I sat down this morning to do a task which should have taken me about half a minute and that was an hour and a half ago.

OK rant over, any further suggestions gratefully received.

Wilf

Mar 25, 2013 3:52 AM in response to wilfredfromcastleford

Wilf

Have you tried the burn instructions above?

PCs have right mouse click. They also have Open right under the File menu where the Mac has them.

I hope you are not trying to send Pages files to your PC friend because they won't be able to read them.

The .tef files are actually backup files. Pages files have .pages extensions but you should export to .doc, .pdf or .rtf for your PC friend.

I've looked for an Apple Store near you but it looks like Glasgow or Manchester are about the closest. You should do a few classes to get shown what's where or simply buy a book on Mac OSX Mountain Lion (you need to change your tag).

Also have a look at these:

User uploaded file

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brilliant-OS-X-Mountain-Lion/dp/0273779478/ref=sr_1_4?ie =UTF8&qid=1364208152&sr=8-4

User uploaded file

http://www.amazon.co.uk/OS-Mountain-Lion-Missing-Manuals/dp/1449330274/ref=sr_1_ 1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364208152&sr=8-1

Peter

Mar 25, 2013 3:48 AM in response to wilfredfromcastleford

Ok, I've tried the right click method and the files were burned to disc, to do that I had to copy them to Documents from iCloud but now they are an OF (Open Freely, never heard of it) type of file and come up on the pc as a picture of the document which is too small to read and pixilates if zoomed. This is really weird, I'm going to be left with printing them out and posting the pages which will be expensive as they are large files. Ludicrous!

Wilf.

Mar 25, 2013 4:12 AM in response to wilfredfromcastleford

I've now tried the drag and drop method to a flash drive and they still have a file type of OF. When I bought the Mac it had Snow Leopard and I took to it like a duck to water. since I've upgraded to M.Lion and iCloud I keep having these niggling problems witht the simple nuts and bolts jobs. I know he can't read Pages docs but surely I should be able to burn a document to a cd so that it can be read on a pc without all this trouble. (We've just got an Apple store in Leeds, I bought an iPad there on Friday. Maybe I'll live to rgret that).

W.

Mar 25, 2013 4:19 AM in response to wilfredfromcastleford

I have searched for a OF file type, a very hard to search for term, and found nothing.

I did find OFF Object file format. It sounds like you just have some small icon or image preview. How big is the file and check how big was the orginal?

I repeat you need to send him a .doc, pdf or rtf file. All which you need to:

Menu > File > Export

Can you post a screensnap of these files you are having trouble with and also what you see in your Open dialogue?

To take a snap go command shift 4 and drag over the area you want to capture. it then appears as .png file on your desktop.

You can post it in the forum by clicking on the little camera icon in the reply.

Peter

PS I am not too happy about Mountain Lion either. Apple forcing a lot of ill thought through and half executed ideas on its long suffering users. But then what are you going to do, switch to Windows 8, a lot of ill thought through and half executed ideas on the PC?

Mar 25, 2013 4:26 AM in response to wilfredfromcastleford

I can't do a screen snap Peter as the docs are confidential. I don't know where the file OF came from, the Mac just added it when I burned the disc and on the flash drive too. I know the file types you mentioned should be the ones I'm looking for but another thing is when I go to save these docs there is no 'Save As' option available under 'File'.

Wilf

Mar 25, 2013 4:53 AM in response to wilfredfromcastleford

I don't mean of the actual files, just what you see in the dialog box which is only file names etc, blur them if you must.

command shift s gets you Save As. But you need to Export not Save As.

From memory it is also a System Preference option in Mountain Lion. Typically Apple not wanting to completely concede it was a total stuff up in Lion, so letting you choose your "old fashioned" methods if you must.

Peter

Mar 25, 2013 7:08 AM in response to wilfredfromcastleford

Peter, I want to thank you for your help and your patience. I have reviewed all your replies and retried each of your suggestions but with no luck I am afraid. It is certain to be down to my stupidity but I have given up. To take so long over so elementary a task as transfering a pages document into a word doc and putting it onto a disc is ridiculous. I have printed off the 30+ pages stuck them in an envelope and taken them to the post office.

Thankyou again.

Wilf.

Mar 25, 2013 7:16 AM in response to wilfredfromcastleford

Hi Wilf,

I am running Mountain Lion 10.8.3 and Pages'09 version 4.3 (1024) on a MacBook Pro.

Wilf wrote:

I would like the save as option back again but I cvan't find that in System preferences either

To get Save As... in Mountain Lion, hold down the option (alt) key when using the File Menu. "Duplicate" changes to "Save As..."

**However**, as Peter said:

But you need to Exportnot Save As.

Save As... allows you to save a Pages document under a new name, and/or in another folder. It is not intended to save under a different file type.

File > Export is the way to save as PDF or Word for your Windows friends.

The Share Menu is another way to export (ignore the greyed out headings; they are not menu items).

Then you can burn (drag and drop?) the exported document to a cd.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Ian.

Mar 25, 2013 7:30 AM in response to wilfredfromcastleford

Wilf I switched to Mountain Lion.

I made an error with Save As which is command shift option s now.

But you really need to Export the files:

User uploaded file

You keep saying you have tried the suggestions, but I get the feeling that you have done something else or ignored most of the instructions. Hard to tell what it is you are doing.

User uploaded file

I don't know what the above is supposed to show.

You seem to be stuck in some miscomprehension of what is where, but without descipherable feedback I can't tell what that is.

Peter

How do I burn docs to cd.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.