Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

battery drainage

Suddenly the battery on my iPhone 4 is draining very quickly, settings have not been changed, I thought it was find friends so removed this app, tried turning all location services off but still loosing power fast. Three hours now down to 45% with only a few emails sent and received. Oh and WiFi is on Any ideas?

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Mar 25, 2013 4:10 AM

10 replies

Mar 25, 2013 5:58 AM in response to dasycneme

but it says on your Question ~> Suddenly the battery on my iPhone 4 <~ so i think it is iPhone 4.

okay here's what you can do with your iPhone 4S Battery Problem

Calibrate iPhone Battery:

Use the iPhone until it it shuts OFF itself, due to Low Battery. Then Charge it back up without interruption, like unplugging it, to full charge 100%. Then before or after you do this, Reset iPhone, hold both home and power buttons until the iPhone restarts itself, ignore the "slide to power off slider", let the iPhone restart itself.

Mar 25, 2013 6:45 AM in response to dasycneme

dasycneme wrote:

Suddenly the battery on my iPhone 4 is draining very quickly, settings have not been changed, I thought it was find friends so removed this app, tried turning all location services off but still loosing power fast. Three hours now down to 45% with only a few emails sent and received. Oh and WiFi is on Any ideas?

If you have a Push email account (MS Exchange, Yahoo, Hotmail, gmail, AOL, iCloud) the mail app may be stuck trying to deal with a corrupt data record. Go to Settings/Mail,Contacts,Calendar, tap on the account name and turn off the switches for mail, contacts, calendar, etc. Then reboot the phone by holding the HOME and SLEEP buttons until an Apple logo appears (typically about 10 seconds). Then go back to Settings and turn the switches back on. Wait an hour before testing again, as the account needs to resync, and this will use power.

Facebook is another app that can get "stuck", as can Find Friends (which you already suspected), or many other social networking apps.

BTW, the other suggestion to recalibrate the battery gauge is also good advice, but it probably won't solve this particular issue.

Message was edited by: Lawrence Finch

Mar 26, 2013 6:06 AM in response to dasycneme

Battery drain is a symptom, not the disease. It has many possible causes, but most of them are due to some app choking on bad data - incomplete email message, contact or calendar entry (the Mail app), interrupted data transfer for any app that has background processes like Facebook and other social media apps, etc. Once you find the app its easy to fix. The symptom can occur any time, but appears to be more common right after an update. I don't know why, but my guess is that installing the update interrupts some data transfer that was in process, leaving it incomplete. When the update is finished the app doesn't know what to do with the incomplete message.

You will see posts like "Update to iOS x.y.z caused my battery life to drop" - substitute ANY version for x, y and z and you will see posts about it.

Apr 8, 2013 6:21 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Yes battery drain is a symptom... and here is ONE treatment.. NOT A CURE because we shouldn't have to do this but it WORKS!.

FOLKS ...there is a way you can stop 'running' programs from draining your batteries.

Remember that area below home screen that shows 'last 4 run programs?

You get there by double clicking home button. If you press on an icon, they wiggle

and a little RED - circle comes up. Press the RED - and ICON /program is turned off.

..TURN THEM ALL OFF! It wont affect your reuse of any app direct from home screen.

Even my SYS ACTIVITY montor said I had App Store and fb running when I hadn't used them

in hours. By turning them off with this HOME Button they are now OFF OFF and in fact were

removed from my 'running applications' list on SYS ACTIVITY.( I tested by turning CAMERA on

then off.) Sure enough it showed up in 'running applications'.. and popped up in the bottom list.

Pushing its RED button..removed it from running apps list!

Now I know we shouldn't have to do this ..but no matter. It does work. Keep that screen cleared!

I did that and have had NO BATT drain for over an hour!.

battery drainage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.