Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Shuffle Drop in Water

my friend in mine was drop he's iPod Shuffle 4th Generation Late 2012 in water for about 30-45 seconds and he dry it out by cleaning it with a tissue and he open the iPod Shuffle's back cover but he did not removed the screws he just rub a tissue and remove the water inside on the Shuffle and after it he put it back the back cover and after it i told him to check the earphone jack if it was turn to red and i and my friend check it and we don't see any red indicator it is still on white so the center button was not working and all buttons are working and he's shuffle don't have any dents or scratches the question is if he drop it in ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL for about 20 seconds and let the shuffle dry for about 2 days the center button will work or not?

My friend needs help so i choose to ask in this forum!

HE DID NOT DROP THE Shuffle on the Alcohol because we are waiting for any answers here!

Posted on Mar 25, 2013 7:05 AM

8 replies

Aug 1, 2017 11:29 AM in response to JamesPaulMallon

I accidentally put my ipod shuffle with my t-shirt into warm water and detergent and when I sat down I wanted to listen to an audiobook and realized what I had done..That was on the 19th July, I took it out, put it into rice. They say that's what you should do to with a mobile phone removing the battery prior putting the mobile into rice.

The next day, the 20th July I hung it on my balcony to dry. Now I live in Bosnia and Herzegovina and the temperature here is really high, like 35-40 degrees Celsius, which is 95-104 F..It was drying for 12 days and today I tried to see whether the battery is dead so I plugged it using an adapter and the iPod started blinking red, meaning that the battery was empty, so I connected it to my laptop to see whether iTunes would recognize it and it worked..

So, it if gets wet, rice first, drying in air second and it works.

Mar 25, 2013 7:51 AM in response to JamesPaulMallon

I would NOT drop it in alcohol. The most used method to attempt to dry it out would be to put it in a bag of uncooked rice for up to a week (perhaps change out the rice two or three times during that). If it works after that, you are lucky, but no one can say whether it will or will not work. It is entirely possible that it shorted something major out almost as soon as it got wet, in which case nothing in this world is going to revive it.

Also, please do not keep bumping a thread like this. This is a volunteer forum of users helping users. You post your question and you'll get answers whenever you get them. Pestering people for an answer doesn't help.

Jan 15, 2014 8:34 AM in response to JamesPaulMallon

My iPod Shuffle (4th generation) was attached to some clothing that soaked for five minutes in the washing machine before I discovered my blunder. After drying it out by putting it in a bag with some rice for a couple of weeks I found that it worked, sort of, but that the VoiceOver button didn't work. It would go through the playlists when you turned it off and on again and you could get where you wanted with the play, forward, reverse buttons. Battery life was short and it didn't hold a charge when idle. After getting a new iPod Shuffle, I decided to experiment by dipping the defective one in alcohol just to see what would happen. The use of the VoiceOver button came back. The battery life remained short. It didn't lose its charge when idle. If I soak another iPod Shuffle, I will try the alcohol approach first. I will also try to locate my Shuffle before doing the laundry.

iPod Shuffle Drop in Water

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.