Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Security Trusted Devices list is incomplete

While attempting to set up my two-step verification on Apple ID . com, I found the listing of trusted devices to be restricted to two iPads, one of which has been out of commission for a year. Neither of our iPhones (mine and my wife's) are listed as being trusted devices.

My iPhone is always in my pocket and, naturally, I'd prefer it to be my trusted device.

How might I manage the listing of my trusted devices, to both add the devices not presently listed on Apple's ID site as well as to delete my original iPad?

iPhone 4S, iOS 5

Posted on Mar 25, 2013 7:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2013 8:22 AM

If the phones can receive sms text messages, you click on the "Add an SMS-Capable Mobile Number" link listed below your trusted devices. Enter the phone number for each of your phones and they will receive an sms messages with a verification codes that you can use to verify them as a trusted device for your ID. (Devices are only automatically listed when they are using the ID you are setting up two-Step verification for for iCloud and have Find My iPhone enabled using this ID.)

To remove a trusted device, go to My Apple ID , tap Manage your ID, tap Password and Security on the left, tap Manage under Trusted Devices, then tap Remove next to the device you want to remove.

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2013 8:22 AM in response to Dwight Brown

If the phones can receive sms text messages, you click on the "Add an SMS-Capable Mobile Number" link listed below your trusted devices. Enter the phone number for each of your phones and they will receive an sms messages with a verification codes that you can use to verify them as a trusted device for your ID. (Devices are only automatically listed when they are using the ID you are setting up two-Step verification for for iCloud and have Find My iPhone enabled using this ID.)

To remove a trusted device, go to My Apple ID , tap Manage your ID, tap Password and Security on the left, tap Manage under Trusted Devices, then tap Remove next to the device you want to remove.

Mar 25, 2013 9:18 AM in response to randers4

Thanks, randers54!

Your parenthetical comment above seems to be the most pertinent aspect of the problem I mentioned.

I set up a new iCloud email account with the appropriate Apple ID and turned on Find My iPhone. Now my iPhone shows up in Apple ID as a trusted device.

Because I have several Apple IDs to handle, obviously I'll have to be careful to choose the right ID to find my devices since Find My iPhone cannot be configured for multiple IDs.

However, randers54, your comment about removing a no-longer-used trusted device doesn't seem to work. I cannot verify a non-used device, of course, so I'll never get a chance to remove the old device, apparently.

Well, an unused device, trusted or not, is not a bother beyond it being retained in some data base unnecessarity.

But your comment about the appropriate ID triggered a resolution.

Apr 4, 2013 2:16 PM in response to anthro_pdx

If it doesn't say Verified with a check mark next to it, it hasn't been verified as a trusted device yet so it can't therefore be removed.

Devices appear on this list because they are using the ID you signed into for iCloud, and have Find My iDevice enabled. Are you still signed into your iCloud account on this device with Find My iphone enabled?

Apr 11, 2013 7:50 AM in response to anthro_pdx

I have the same situation: an iPhone and an iPad, long since reset to factory defaults and sold on eBay, still appearing in my list of Trusted Devices.

My three questions are:

1. Does this represent any significant degree of security exposure for me?
  2. Will this interfere with the ability of the purchasers to use these devices as Trusted Devices associated with their own accounts?
  3. How can I break my relationship with these two devices?

Jul 28, 2013 9:26 AM in response to anthro_pdx

I called Apple Support and received the solution to removing a trusted device that does not have a remove option from appleid.apple.com:

1. Log into iCloud.com

2. Click on Find my Phone

3. Click on Devices (you'll see all your devices listed)

4. Click on the device that you are trying to remove as a trusted device from AppleID

5. Click again on Devices (again you'll see all your devices, but this time there's an option to remove the device)

6. Remove the device

7. Log into appleid.apple.com and the device will no longer be listed as a trusted device!

Mar 6, 2014 1:45 PM in response to Jason Goldsmith

In other words the Find my Iphone list == the trusted device list. This is an incredibly lazy design decision. Just because I want to be able to find a device doesn't mean I want to trust it.

I can easily imagine a process for un-trusting a device, though I hope I don't need to use it:

1. Remove from the Find My iPhone list

2. Go to the device and re-enable Find My iPhone, but don't re-enable trust stuff.

May 27, 2014 11:38 PM in response to Smattus

I have recently found out that this isn't necessarily true.

For example, I have old devices in my trusted device list (not verified of course), and they do not appear in the Find my iPhone list of devices. The devices were wiped and are long gone, but still appear in the two-step verification device list.

Seems there is absolutely no way of removing these!

May 29, 2014 3:19 AM in response to Jason Goldsmith

Did you read my post?

Unfortunately for me, the devices do not appear in the Devices list on iCloud/Find my iPhone. Only my active devices appear there.

I'm also having a similar issue with iCloud Keychain, where is show a list of multiple copies of my MacBook Pro that has come from where I have reinstalled OS X Mavericks. There is also no way to get rid of those. Apple seems to keep some seperate device lists on your iCloud accounts, and you have no way of accessing them to remove old/obsolete entries..

Security Trusted Devices list is incomplete

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.