Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Book Pro(Retina) - Image Retention - Replacement

Hello,

I bought a mac book pro retina display 15' about 6 months ago.

Recently ive started getting heavy image retention,so i contaced my local apple shop(Apple authorized) and they said they would replace the screen in about 5 - 6 days.I was wondering if it was possible to replace the screen only in a mac book pro since most replacement case ive heard about involed replacing the whole unit.

Even though it was an apple authorized shop , I was wondering if it was safe to replace the screen only since it would mean almost opening the laptop which involved messing with the screws and inner components of screen to board connections.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Mar 25, 2013 8:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2013 9:04 AM

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities

That problem is caused by the display, and it's safe to replace it on a MacBook Pro with Retina display. You have seen that a lot of users had their computers replaced because Apple often do this during the first 14 days of use

9 replies

Mar 25, 2013 10:12 PM in response to mende1

Thanks for the reply.

I'll be giving it in a few days and they have asked for a days time to replace the screen.

Also, I've heard that the screens manufactured by LG are more prone to having image retention than the screens manufactured by samsung..is that assumption true?

What if my replacement screen also has image retention?

I know that this is a common problem in MBPr(s) but do ALL of them get image retention at some point or is it just the defective ones?

Mar 25, 2013 11:00 PM in response to pavitrakumar

pavitrakumar wrote:

I'll be giving it in a few days and they have asked for a days time to replace the screen.

Also, I've heard that the screens manufactured by LG are more prone to having image retention than the screens manufactured by samsung..is that assumption true?

Correct. LG displays give a lot of problems, but Samsung displays normally come perfect.

pavitrakumar wrote:

What if my replacement screen also has image retention?

I know that this is a common problem in MBPr(s) but do ALL of them get image retention at some point or is it just the defective ones?

If the replacement screen has got image retention, too, take your Mac again to an Apple Store or reseller to get the display replaced.

I have seen a lot of cases here about image retention, and most of them related to LG displays, so it's not a problem that all the MacBooks Pro with Retina display have

May 27, 2015 6:49 PM in response to pavitrakumar

So I though I was just going to have to replace my macbook pro 15' retina screen as well. I found a quick fix, and at least for me, it worked perfectly. I had left a youtube playlist window open for way too long and for some reason my macbook didn't go to sleep at all from the time I left it till I came back. Had some gnarly retention going on and I was about to sh*t bricks if I had to drop my paycheck to get my screen replaced. But I read around some forums and there is a solution to the problem. The Link I am posting below is an Image Retention fix and has mainly been used for those who have plasma displays to wear in their screens so they don't have to deal with retention in the first place. I though he*l why not, it wouldn't hurt to try. It's a youtube video, so it is nothing sketchy. I found it to be 100 percent effective in my case. Step 1: full screen the video. Step 2: maximize the brightness on your screen. Step 3: play the video 2 or 3 times since it is fairly short, just for maximum efficiency. Step 4: while video is playing, I would suggest not staring at the screen for too long because (for me) it's pretty tough on the eyes, and do not watch it if you have epilepsy. Step 5: check to see if there is any retention left over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsoCrkElbqQ

I hope this can help people that are having similar issues, and you won't have to spend any money. It worked for me, and I got to save my dough. Now I'm going to go buy some beer and have some fun with my friends tonight!

Cheers!!

-weedistight

Mac Book Pro(Retina) - Image Retention - Replacement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.