Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question for Old Toad

I'm trying to run iPhoto 9.2.3 on OS 10.6.8 and it will not launch. The messages received are: "The photo library needs to be upgraded to work with this version of iPhoto." I then click Upgrade, which gives me this: "iPhoto is unable to open this library- The library has issues that require rebuilding to correct". I then click Rebuild, which gives me this: "Waiting for iPhoto Library- iPhoto will open as soon as the iPhoto library is available. Time Machine might be backing it up."

Time machine is not running and the circle spins for hours and hours (10+ last night).

I've tried to rebuild the data base using option/command at iPhoto launch and I've also tried to launch using a restored file from Time Machine and tried using a new library created through iPhoto Library Manager. All attempts have given the same results with the messages above.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

iPhoto '11, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 25, 2013 10:08 AM

7 replies

Mar 25, 2013 10:16 AM in response to sspeedy1

This may help you......

Note - you need to ensure you have enough free space on your computer to hold a new copy of your iPhoto Library before proceeding with these steps.

- open your pictures folder, take note of your current iPhoto libraries name, and then rename it to "iPhoto Library Old"

- quit all open applications

- hold down your option key and launch iPhoto with the option key held down, until you get a screen asking to choose an iPhoto Library - select "create new" button. Ensure you entitle the new iPhoto Library with the same name you gave the original one

- this will launch a brand new blank iPhoto Library. Quit iPhoto

- launch Time Machine, and restore your iPhoto Library from a know good date

- this will put the data in the brand new iPhoto Library you created that is currently empty

Mar 25, 2013 1:25 PM in response to LarryHN

Try the following:

1 - delete the iPhoto preference file, com.apple.iPhoto.plist, that resides in your

User/Home/Library/ Preferences folder.

2 - delete iPhoto's cache file, Cache.db, that is located in your

User/Home/Library/Caches/com.apple.iPhoto folder (Snow Leopard and Earlier).

User uploaded file

or with Mt. Lion from the User/Library/Containers/com.apple.iPhoto/
Data/Library/Caches/com.apple.iPhoto
folder

User uploaded file

3 - launch iPhoto and try again.

NOTE 1: If you're moved your library from its default location in your Home/Pictures folder you will have to point iPhoto to its new location when you next open iPhoto by holding down the Option key when launching iPhoto. You'll also have to reset the iPhoto's various preferences.

NOTE 2: In Lion and Mountain Lion the Library folder is now invisible. To make it permanently visible enter the following in the Terminal application window: chflags nohidden ~/Library and hit the Enter button - 10.7: Un-hide the User Library folder.

OT

Question for Old Toad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.