Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disable Headphone Jack on PowerBook G4

We have a PowerBook G4 which fell off a table with speakers plugged into the headphone jack. When it landed, the headphone jack broke off inside the computer. I've tried to get the jack out but it's simply too far in and I can't seem to pry it loose or get anything to stick to it enough to pull it out (I've tried superglue on a Q-Tip with no success).

Is there any way to simply disable the headphone jack so that sound goes through the internal speakers again?

I've searched through the Sound menu in System Preferences but haven't found any way to select anything other than "Headphones". Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If there isn't a way to disable the headphone jack, does anyone know if USB speakers will still work with headphones plugged in?

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Mar 25, 2013 10:58 AM

3 replies

Mar 25, 2013 6:15 PM in response to NoRuleButThree

It's either or. The Mac will not let you use the speakers and another sound output device at the same time. Since the port is occupied, as far as the Mac is concerned the speakers are being used.

Your only hope is to get that remnant out of the headphone port.

By the way, have you checked System Profiler? (Apple Menu / About This Mac / More Info).

What does the Mac says in Hardware / Audio?

Disable Headphone Jack on PowerBook G4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.