Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp - No bootable device

I am using the very latest update that allows me to use bootcamp on my iMac 27" with a 3TB Fusion drive.

I started the setup partition step to add a new Windows 7 installl to my machine and went to bed as it took a while. This morning I have "no bootable disk" message on the screen, even after power off/on. It seems like the disk is messed up preventing even OSx from starting now. I am getting nervous, and no chance to disgnose as i had to go to work.

Any thoughts on next steps here? How do I get OSx working again at a minimum, and further how do I get this to work with installing Windows 7 (my wife wants it back!).

Ideas welcome!

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Mar 25, 2013 11:48 AM

12 replies

Mar 25, 2013 11:57 AM in response to hokieb

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities

Were you trying to install Windows from a USB drive or a DVD? Now, turn off the Mac, and turn it on, holding the Option (Alt) key just after the startup sound, until you see all the bootable partitions on the screen. If you want to start in OS X, choose "Macintosh HD".

Also, on that screen, you should see the Windows installation drive, so select it and start the Windows installation. Follow these steps > http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/boot_camp_install-setup_10.8.pdf

Mar 25, 2013 1:40 PM in response to mende1

Thenks Mendel. I will try the option key when i get home. I am trying to install from DVD, but I don't think it is getting that far, unless this option key and windows partition plan works then maybe i am good. I guess i just figured the system would present me with this option at startup or kick into the install directly, and not just show no bootable device. Makes me think i lost my Mac HD partition too doing that!

Mar 25, 2013 1:43 PM in response to hokieb

Boot Camp sets the bootable volume as your Windows DVD, so after restarting, the computer will start into the Windows installer by default. If your computer doesn't detect it, you get a "No bootable device" message, but it doesn't mean that you lost OS X. Furthermore, it's near impossible that you have lost it if you haven't started the Windows installation

Mar 25, 2013 6:02 PM in response to mende1

ll right...the opton key helped get me to the choice between mac HD and Windows CD. However, noew I get CDBOOT: Could not find BOOTMGR or something like that. I am pretty technical, but new to Macs...in reading it sounds like the USB superdrive may not be recognized for booting this windows disc. I see suggestions I need to try the USB flash drivwe/ISO option. Unfortunately I'd have to go to the store as the only one I have handy is smaller than DVD size.

Is there any other way to use the USB superdrive in this install?

Thanks for all the help.

Apr 9, 2013 12:42 PM in response to mende1

I'm having this same issue. I'm downloading Windows 7 Professional from a disc. I downloaded the support software to a USB flash drive using bootcamp, and that all went fine. Then I chose the partition size, put in my Windows 7 disc, it partitioned & rebooted, and I thought it was supposed to boot up to the Windows installation. But it comes up with a black screen with a flashing prompt up in the upper left corner. So then I read on further in the bootcamp instructions & it said if I had problems restart the computer holing the option key, which I did. The screen comes up with the choice to pic MacHD or the Windows CD. I click on the Windows CD & it goes to another black screen, but now up in the upper left hand corner it says CDBOOT: Couldn't find BOOTMGR. So then I talked to an Apple Senior Tech & he told me the Windows disc had to be damaged or no good. So I went to the place I bought it & they gave me another copy. I came home & restarted my computer again holding the option key, selected the Windows CD & the same error comes up! I can't imagine having 2 bad copies of Windows 7. So what could the problem be? PLEASE HELP!!! Thanks!

Bootcamp - No bootable device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.