Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring in recovery mode still asking the passcode. What to do after?

Screen lock passcode, you would have to connect to iTunes in recovery mode, I did that propely but it still asks for the screen lock passcode. How else to get into phone after completing the recovery mode process and still asks for that passcode. I am not the only one to come across this because I work for one of the carrirers and I get a lot of other iPhone users coming across the same issue. I contact apple to help with this but there is no known cause for this. Please post in article immediatety for solution. Thanks.

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.3, any iPhone with iOS 6.0 up

Posted on Mar 25, 2013 12:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 8:09 AM

I ran into the same problem. Someone on the forum mentioned DFU, after googling it little bit, here is what I found and it works!

Seems there are two modes - a DFU mode and a recovery mode. There is a different combination of steps how to get into each of them. Follows the step by step how to get into DFU mode, which will recover iPad and will not ask for the Passcode.

1. Plug your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad into your Mac or Windows PC and make sure iTunes is running.
  2. Hold down both the Sleep Button (on top of your device) and the Home Button (on the front underneath the screen).
  3. Keep them both held down from about 10 seconds. (If you see the Apple logo, you've held them too long and will need to start again.)
  4. Let go of the Sleep Button but keep holding the Home Button for about 5 seconds. (If you see the "Plus into iTunes" screen than you held it too long and will need to start again.)
  5. If the screen stays black, that's it! Your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad should now be in DFU mode.

At this point iTunes will show you an alert saying it's detected your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad and it needs to be restored.

From here it is all straight forward. Hope it helps.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2015 8:09 AM in response to nessparty

I ran into the same problem. Someone on the forum mentioned DFU, after googling it little bit, here is what I found and it works!

Seems there are two modes - a DFU mode and a recovery mode. There is a different combination of steps how to get into each of them. Follows the step by step how to get into DFU mode, which will recover iPad and will not ask for the Passcode.

1. Plug your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad into your Mac or Windows PC and make sure iTunes is running.
  2. Hold down both the Sleep Button (on top of your device) and the Home Button (on the front underneath the screen).
  3. Keep them both held down from about 10 seconds. (If you see the Apple logo, you've held them too long and will need to start again.)
  4. Let go of the Sleep Button but keep holding the Home Button for about 5 seconds. (If you see the "Plus into iTunes" screen than you held it too long and will need to start again.)
  5. If the screen stays black, that's it! Your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad should now be in DFU mode.

At this point iTunes will show you an alert saying it's detected your iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad and it needs to be restored.

From here it is all straight forward. Hope it helps.

Mar 25, 2013 12:35 PM in response to nessparty

Forgotten Passcode/Password

What to Do If You've Forgotten Your iPhone's Passcode

Restoring iPod touch after forgotten passcode

iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: Wrong passcode results in red disabled screen

Also, see:

Placing your device into recovery (DFU) mode:

Follow these steps to place your iOS device into recovery mode. If your iOS device is already in recovery mode, you can proceed immediately to step 6.

1. Disconnect the USB cable from the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, but leave the

other end of the cable connected to your computer's USB port.

2. Turn off the device: Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds

until the red slider appears, then slide the slider. Wait for the device to turn off.

* If you cannot turn off the device using the slider, press and hold the

Sleep/Wake and Home buttons at the same time. When the device turns off,

release the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons.

3. While pressing and holding the Home button, reconnect the USB cable to the

device. The device should turn on. Note: If you see the battery charge warning,

let the device charge for at least ten minutes to ensure that the battery has some

charge, and then start with step 2 again.

4. Continue holding the Home button until you see the "Connect to iTunes" screen.

When this screen appears you can release the Home button:

5. If necessary, open iTunes. You should see the following "recovery mode" alert:

6. Use iTunes to restore the device.

If you don't see the "Connect to iTunes" screen, try these steps again. If you see the "Connect to iTunes" screen but the device does not appear in iTunes, see this article and its related links.

Additional Information:

Note: When using recovery mode, you can only restore the device. All user content on the device will be erased, but if you had previously synced with iTunes on this computer, you can restore from a previous backup. See this article for more information.

Mar 25, 2013 3:27 PM in response to Kappy

I don't mean to come off that way and I apologize if the caps made it seem that way. It was done exactly how stated in the articles and I am not having it happen on my personal device. I work for one of the carriers and we have getting multiple callers with this issue. I know it is not only the person I personally helped with this. It was done exactly as stated. Please find a solution because it have not only happened to this device that I've been working with. The customer calling in about this too.

Apr 2, 2014 11:53 AM in response to nessparty

I, too, have this problem. I restored to factory settings, requested an ulock from AT&T, and now (post request) it requires some passcode I don't have. Per the recommendation, I followed the instructions above for recovery mode reset (step by step, most of this worked), as I was told this would eliminate the passcose restriction. Wrong. It took 15 minutes to work through the recovery mode nonsense, and after that an iTunes notification popped up saying "iTunes could not connect to the iPhone “iPhone” because it is locked with a passcode. You must enter your passcode on the iPhone before it can be used with iTunes" What now?

Restoring in recovery mode still asking the passcode. What to do after?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.