Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Magsafe Power Adapters

I am posting this here because Apple customer servce does not have an email address. I tried calling them but I am required to purchase some sort of $60 coverage in order to speak to someone.

I purchased a 15.4" macbook pro approximately two and a half years ago. The charger (85W) that my macbook came with started to split within one year. I didn't bother to try returning it, as that can be a hassle and it was still working perfectly fine. However, it split elsewhere as another year went by and it is now completely finished. For the past few months I've been borrowing a friends macbook charger (60W) that stopped working on her computer. It doesn't charge mine, but it keeps the battery from draining.

I went to my neighbourhood Apple store to purchase a new charger and to tell them about these issues my friend and I have experienced. The employees there admitted that these Apple chargers aren't the greatest make and that I was lucky to get two years out of mine. It sounds like this is a common issue. It's frustrating because these macbook pro's are extremely well built computers, yet the same can't be said about their $90 chargers.

I just thought I'd send this out and hopefully, maybe, get this message out there. As I hope to not have to spend another $90 in 1 - 2 years.

Power adapter-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 25, 2013 12:55 PM

5 replies

Mar 25, 2013 2:21 PM in response to edruga

For what it's worth, the 85W charger that came with my original Late 2007 MacBook Pro still works fine with my current Late 2011 MacBook Pro (almost 6 years later). In fact, the second charger I bought back then still works too. One has been at home on my desk almost the entire time, and the other has been in the backpack with the machine, getting pulled out and used almost daily.

I think the person who told you they aren't built well may be speaking of the knock-off changers that can be purchased on-line for about 1/2 the price of an Apple charger. My experience with those is "you get what you pay for". The last time I tried to buy one of those, what they advertised as an 85W charger turned out to be a 45W charger, so getting it for $30 wasn't really a deal when compared to the $79 for a real 85W charger from Apple. My battery would drain while using that adapter if I put my system under any heavy load.

Magsafe Power Adapters

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.