Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am running osx version 10.6.8 with safari 5.0.5. recently i ran one of those recommended upgrades and now Safari continually quits citing .WinASOEasyTweakVKey.Gen.tmp plug-in. how in the world do i combat this issue? thank you!

I am running OS X, version 10.6.8 with safari 5.0.5. recently i ran one of those recommended upgrades and now Safari continually quits citing .WinASOEasyTweakVKey.Gen.tmp plug-in. how in the world do i combat this issue? thank you! I have reset Safari several times.

Another new problem is Firefox telling me, when the e-mail window is open, that the window must run in 32 bit. The window is then disabled and then i have to restart Firefox.

Thank You for any help/hope you can give me with these issues. deborah

Posted on Mar 25, 2013 4:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2013 5:13 PM

You’ve been infected with the “Flashback” malware. See this Apple support document:

About Flashback malware

Back up all data, if you haven't already done so.

From the menu bar, select

Software Update

to install the latest Java update, as well as any other available updates. That should clear the infection in most cases. You must update to the latest version of OS X 10.6 or 10.7 before you can install the Java update.

The removal tool runs automatically in the background and is then deleted. Don’t look for something to click. If the malware is removed, you’ll be notified.

After you’ve secured your system — not before — change every Internet password you have, starting with banking passwords, and check all financial accounts for unauthorized transactions.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2013 5:13 PM in response to macleese

You’ve been infected with the “Flashback” malware. See this Apple support document:

About Flashback malware

Back up all data, if you haven't already done so.

From the menu bar, select

Software Update

to install the latest Java update, as well as any other available updates. That should clear the infection in most cases. You must update to the latest version of OS X 10.6 or 10.7 before you can install the Java update.

The removal tool runs automatically in the background and is then deleted. Don’t look for something to click. If the malware is removed, you’ll be notified.

After you’ve secured your system — not before — change every Internet password you have, starting with banking passwords, and check all financial accounts for unauthorized transactions.

Mar 25, 2013 5:38 PM in response to Linc Davis

i did the software update (even updated my keyboard -- very exciting) and the system told me that Malware was found and removed. i will run safari for a while and see if it stops quitting. thank you for your speedy help. i am beyond computer literate these days (i could fix anything on my old Performa but things have changed and, other than aging, i have not).

have any idea what 32 bit is and why firefox keeps telling me the e-mail window needs it at the same time making the e-mail window useless and forcing me to restart firefox?

again, thank you, thank you!

Mar 25, 2013 10:13 PM in response to macleese

macleese wrote:

i did the software update (even updated my keyboard -- very exciting) and the system told me that Malware was found and removed.

That malware has almost certainly been on your computer for almost a year now as the installation server has not been active for probably nine months. So here's your take away...

Keep your OS, Apple apps, FlashPlayer and Java fully up-to-date to avoid any future infections and disable Java (not JavaScript) in all your browsers. Allow Software Update to check as often as possible and don't wait too long to install what it says you need, especially if it's a Security or Java update. It's a lot easier than cleaning up after.

I am running osx version 10.6.8 with safari 5.0.5. recently i ran one of those recommended upgrades and now Safari continually quits citing .WinASOEasyTweakVKey.Gen.tmp plug-in. how in the world do i combat this issue? thank you!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.