Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I updated to iOS 6.1.3 and my ipad sound is not working help apple?

I updated to iOS 6.1.3 and my ipad sound is not working. Tried reset can back but gone again some people are suggesting it was the update is this true if so what should I do apple???

iPad, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Mar 25, 2013 3:31 PM

16 replies

Mar 25, 2013 3:45 PM in response to Gordonchambers

Apple doesn't participate here. We are just other iPad users offering help to others.

Did you reset/ reboot this way?

Reboot the iPad by holding down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider if it appears on the screen - let go of the buttons. Let the iPad start up.

And that did not bring back the sound? Do you have sound in the Music App?

Mar 26, 2013 4:58 PM in response to Demo

Hi demo no I don't have sound in the music app unless with headphones haven't anywhere to try.

And the the round button on the volume slider is not there at all.

I spoke to apple support today and they said do a factory reset which I have done twice -once a with an iTunes restore from a backup. And once without a restore neither has made a difference. It is definitely the iOS.6.1.3 upgrade, support said that it must have download incorrectly...when I probed how that would be possible he could not answer.

It is really annoying as it his supposed to be device for communications I watched a lot of iplayer tv on it which it is useless for now and the kids had piano apps, educational apps and music apps all of which are useless. Of course I have reinstall all these after the factory reset ...my advice to others is don't bother upgrading and if you have and are having problems the reset does NOT work.

Apple my arse shame on you for releasing a dud upgrade

Mar 26, 2013 5:44 PM in response to Gordonchambers

I have never once has a problem with any upgrade so to say that the upgrade was a dud would be just a little inaccurate. I understand that you are upset and disappointed and I would be as well if it happened to me, but the overwhelming majority of iOS users downloaded and installed the upgrade without any issues at all.

You cannot gauge the overall success of the upgrade by what you read in a support forum. Users with problems come to a support forum looking for help. The successful updaters are happily using their iPads and don't come to support forums to exclaim the virtues of their devices.

I know that you restored the iPad iOS already, but try this. You have nothing to lose at this point.

Settings>General>Reset>Reset All Settings. You will have to enter all of your device settings again.... All of the settings in the settings app will have to be re-entered and it does take a while to reset all of your device preferences again.

Is your iPad still under warranty? If it is, I would take it to an Apple a store and let them fix it or replace it. If it isn't under warranty, make an appointment at an Apple Store Genius Bar and ask them to resolve the issue for you. See what happens. There is no charge for an Apple a store Genius Bar appointment and if nothing else works for you, you might as well give it a try.

Mar 27, 2013 1:31 AM in response to Gordonchambers

Hi I have tried all types of resets etc

I disagree if an update is released it should work for 100 percent of users otherwise it is a dud. After all you should have full confidence in the manufacturers advice and forums like this should not have to exist for update problems. (That said I genuinly appreciate all the advice). But I am shocked at the silience from apple even if it is a minority of users that are experiencing problems. This is my first iPad and first issue but apple customer service has not impressed me so far hopefully they will pull it out of the bag ..imagine like most things it has to land on the right persons desk otherwise you get "the guy who start last week, had a one week training course on iPad support and

is supplementing his knowledge with Wikipedia" :-))

I will report back once I get it all sort

Thanks again for the advice

Mar 28, 2013 9:22 AM in response to Gordonchambers

I have been having similar isssues with my iPad updating to IOS 6.1.3 and have read countless of articles and questions from frustarted users with the same issue. My only issue is Apple has been creating software updates for a significant amount of time now and I find it highly irresponsible and negligent on the mega company's part NOT to anticipate potential issues with ALL of their products.

I would think that prior to releasing any update, there would have been countless simulations and tests completed on each one of their devces of all generations - (iMac, iPod, iPhone, iPad/Mini) You understand right?... But no... here we are the lowly consumer and faithful patron who works hard, purchases products to support our economy's growth in technology as well our desire to learn and teach others... STUCK! because the well-trained and innovative product makers seemed to be more focused on their rush to release an unfiinished product to the masses for what appears to be driven by nothing more than good old fashioned desire and greed for the dollar. No surprise it was the desire for the Apple that started it all in the 1st place. I have yet to come across a solution for the troubled upgrade and so I, like many other users will just have to wait patiently. Whatcha gonna do?!

Apr 2, 2013 8:44 AM in response to Demo

User uploaded fileI usually dont have any problems with apple updates but I now appear to be one of a substantial number who have annoyingly experienced loss of sound! I have done a complete restore and still nothing. Occasionally keyboard clicks will work but the sound will go after a matter of seconds, even if I am still in the process of typing. I have attached a screenshot of my screen whilst I attempted to turn the volume up on the ringer, and as you can see it is completely blank- it does not even appear to have registered that I am increasing or decreasing the volume at all (I even tried it with the accessibility option and still no change in sound).

I really hope Apple can get to the bottom of this, and soon! Very frustrating missing calls and texts because my phone no longer has sound.

User uploaded file

Apr 4, 2013 10:46 PM in response to jaydle

The problem is the update. You seem to have a choice though. If you want sound, switch the side switch in general settings to lock rotation. Your sound will now work, but you can't go into portrait mode now as the side switch seems to go to mute or locked and will not change. To get rotate back, change it again to mute, and lose sound.. A real screwup and pain in the ***.

Apr 15, 2013 2:19 PM in response to Ourdoc

Ourdoc.

Could not agree more.

When will Apple figure this out?

Also, it does seem incredible to me that Apple has no way of backing off changes.

This to me it the height of arrogance - the manufacturer know best and products have no bugs.

Apple could take a few lessons from Microsoft in this regard.

I for one will probably never install an IOS update again without having a known downgrade capability in effect.

I recommend as many people as possible send Apple support similar statements.

I updated to iOS 6.1.3 and my ipad sound is not working help apple?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.