Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

8-core MacPro2,1 Snow leopard or Mountain Lion?

I have an 8-core MacPro2,1 w\snow leopard. As far as I know I cannot run mountain lion. I was reluctant to install Lion [bad reviews -- particularly with running music software]. I no longer need to run music software. I am particularly interested in keeping my MacBook Pro, iPhone and iPad in sync via iCloud.My questions are

• Should I install Lion?
  • Have there been any stable and proven work around's for running Mountain Lion?

I used to use MobleMe as was very happy with it

Now I am kind of screwed. I am open to suggestions

Please help

thanks

MacPro 1st Gen 8-Core, MacBook Pro Fall 2009 15"

Posted on Mar 25, 2013 5:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2013 6:30 PM

Take a spare drive.

Call the online store and arrange to purchase a 10.7 Lion download code and instructions.

Download 10.7 Lion, and specify the spare drive.

When it resarts after the download, make a DVD of the Installer ("Lion Disk Maker" freeware or several reputable writeups online).

Install Lion from scratch onto the spare drive.

Try it! fiddle with it.

If you like it, you can re-assign your Home folder to it.

If you hate it, you are out less than US$30, and did not blow away your 10.6.8

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2013 6:30 PM in response to JamesDiscussionAcct

Take a spare drive.

Call the online store and arrange to purchase a 10.7 Lion download code and instructions.

Download 10.7 Lion, and specify the spare drive.

When it resarts after the download, make a DVD of the Installer ("Lion Disk Maker" freeware or several reputable writeups online).

Install Lion from scratch onto the spare drive.

Try it! fiddle with it.

If you like it, you can re-assign your Home folder to it.

If you hate it, you are out less than US$30, and did not blow away your 10.6.8

Mar 26, 2013 9:37 AM in response to Electricidad

Electricdad...

Thank you for your feedback. Information on issues related to Lion are no longer readily visible in the literature -- particularly after the release of mountain lion. Are the latest and greatest versions of lion still a kluged headache? Do you know of anywhere I might read a comprehensive review of where things stand with it as of the (relatively) latest update?

Please let me know

thanks again

Mar 26, 2013 5:36 PM in response to JamesDiscussionAcct

All the Internet reviews should still be around, you just have to search a little deeper since they aren't featured or popular articles anymore.

I never liked Lion. Its too bulky and slowed down compared to SL and the iOS-like "features" added to it are counter-productive and annoying.

Snow Leopard's release was about improving simplicity, reliability and performance. Lion was about adding eye candy to appeal to all the sheep who only bought an iPhone or iPad because they are "cool".

8-core MacPro2,1 Snow leopard or Mountain Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.