Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2009 mid-year trackpad going crazy

I have a 15 inch, MacBook Pro, mid-year 2009, unibody, not the earlier 2009 model. It has 2.8 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo. The bottom is one piece, does not have the latch like earlier model did. I am running the latest OS - 10.8.3.

About 6 months ago, i was cleaning the outside of my laptop with a damp cloth. I did use some general cleaner (Fantastic), as well. I know I shouldn't have done that. The trackpad started acting erratically. I read on the forums here, about properly cleaning the laptop, and that it could be a battery issue, as that was common with this model - possible battery bulging, affecting the performance of the trackpad. The battery health did say poor, and I need to chang the battery. I use AC power much more than battery. However, a few days later, the trackpad started working great, and did so until about two days ago.

Two days ago, I cleaned the outside of my laptop - again. And again, the trackpad started acting erratic, except worse. And has not recovered. I have read all the online forum articles, and other internet resources I can find. I have wiped the trackpad with a damp cloth. I have taken the battery out and checked for warped shape, or bulging in the middle as some articles have suggested could be the problem. Battery looks fine. In fact, i now have the battery completely out, using AC power only. I do have a new battery on order. Battery now now loses its charge very very fast.

Here is what trackpad is doing: sometimes the one finger swipe cursor does not move or work. But does work most of the time. Two-finger scrolling up and down, is almost virtually impossible. It is jerky. The cursor jumps around on the screen, from one place to another. I have applied pressure to the trackpad (slight) to see if that helps. It does not. And evern worse, when I am not touching the trackpad, the cursor has a mind of it's own. It moves and jumps erraticly, around the screen. Sometimes windows pop up and back without touching trackpad. Quiet a few times, "LaunchPad" will open up on my screen - yes, without me touching it. All of this is occuring when battery is in, but ALSO same thing wihe battery is OUT!

I do need a new battery, but with the battery out, and me still having trackpad problems, I am beginning to think I may need to replace the trackpad. too. Any thoughts, suggestions, solutions? I thank you in advance.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8), system software is up to date.

Posted on Mar 25, 2013 6:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2013 6:51 PM

Your appointment for an evaluation at the Genius Bar at an Apple Store is free, in warranty or out.

No obligation to have them fix any problems uncovered.

I wish I could get a deal like that for my car.

5 replies

Mar 26, 2013 7:07 PM in response to Chuck Kay

Thanks for the response Grant. But, I don't know how or why it shows your response solved my problem, because i didn't click that it did, nor does it make sense as your response was just a suggestion to take it to a Apple Store.

However, I have to share what i just did. I have tried everything I have read, many posts here about the problem. Even with my battery out, the trackpad still acted crazy. I could click ok, just scrolling didn't work; cursor would jump around; launchpad would randomly pop-up, bouncing back and forth from the desktop. With battery out, I cleaned with compressed air, dust and debris around the underside of trackpad. Used a damp cloth, to clean the surface. Check system preferences. No go.

I just read a post that seemed crazy, made no sense. It said to turn your laptop on it's side, and click the trackpad several times, with some pressure. Then turn on the other side and do it again. I thought, that doesn't make sense, but what the heck! So, turned it on it's right side, clicked a bunch of times; did the same on the left side! Put my laptop rightside up, tested the trackpad, and it worked!!! 🙂 Wow! At least for the last 5 minutes! I have no idea how this worked, or why, but it is still working. Will update if it still works, or not. I came so close to buying a trackpad, installing myself (easy); or just taking to Apple Store and have it done faster. This litte trick just saved me som moolah!!! I hope!

Mar 19, 2014 7:52 PM in response to NicoB22

No, this trick did not work. I had to finally replace the track pad at an Apple Store. I am a "fix-it-yourself" kind of person when it comes to my personal computers. However, I decided to take it to an Apple Store. Those guys were great. They treated me with respect, they could tell I knew what I was talking about. They fixed ti quickly, cut me a deal, sent me on my way in under an hour. Saved me a lot of further headaches, time, and time is money. Replacing my trackpad worked great for me. It has been about a year, and my replacement trackpad has worked well ever since.

Jun 29, 2014 7:45 PM in response to Chuck Kay

I had the crazy track-pad issue on our 13" Macbook Pro (mid 2012).

I could see a noticeable bulge in the battery and pushing down on all 4 corners of the track pad caused the problem to go away for a few minutes. This proved that the issue was hardware related.

I replaced the battery. But that didn't fix anything.

I then removed the track-pad and gave it a good cleaning. Lots of hard gunk had built up in the little gap between the track-pad and the metal case. I had to use a knife blade to scrape the gunk out.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Unibody+Model+A1342+Trackpad+Replacement/63 38

The cleaning seems to have fixed it good as new! I only wish I would have tried the cleaning BEFORE I bought a new battery.

MacBook Pro 2009 mid-year trackpad going crazy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.