Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto application won't open

Hey there,

I have a problem with iPhoto. For some reason it won't open and it says when I open it "You can't open the application iPhoto because it may be damaged or incomplete". I think the application might be removed or erased. Please tell me how to re-install it again. I also didn't purchase the application, it came with the computer.

Thanks

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 25, 2013 7:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2013 7:30 PM

If you bought it (or it was pre-installed on your ML system) from thre Mac App Store delete it from the Applications folder and download it again from the Mac App Store.

20 replies

Mar 26, 2013 8:01 AM in response to katherineb95

No - as previously stated

You do not have to purchase it

and No - it does not affect your photos (of course you MUST always have a good backup because things do happen adn without a good backup you will lose your photos (and all of your files) sooner or later

iPhoto is an application - your photos that hae been imported to iPhoto are in a SQLite databaseBy default names iPhoto library (in your pictures folder) - deleting or installing the application has no affect on the database

LN

Mar 26, 2013 9:16 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

I am the original owner, and I'm pretty sure I used the same ID. Also, iPhoto came installed. When I tried to make apps unhiden as LarryHN told me it didn't work (still can't find the unhiden option). I contacted Apple and they told me I should re-download my OS again. I was just wondering if there's an easier way because I don't want to re-download my OS again.

Mar 26, 2013 9:29 AM in response to Muhanad Khan

Please exp

at 7:55 you said

I've unhidden iPhoto,

Then at 9:16 you said

(still can't find the unhiden option)

We only know what you tell us - we can not see you or your system and can not read your mindwe need concise and accurate information from you to have any chance of helping you

And inbetween at 8:10 you went down another totally different track

I was backing it up as it crashed which is why I wanted to know if i lost any photos..

To give assistance we have to know details - like error messages, crash logs, and the method you were using to "backup"

LN

Mar 26, 2013 9:43 AM in response to katherineb95

SORRY - I missed the threajacking - this is exactly why threadjacking is a bad idea - it confuses everyone - it really does work better to start a new thread with you problem which is not the same as the OP since you can unhide iPhoto and they can not

If you have continuing questions please create a new thread with them so everyone can keep things straight

LN

iPhoto application won't open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.