Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does DVD Studio Pro 4 Work In Mountain Lion OS 10.8.3 ?

I have an older version of "DVD Studio Pro 4" which I have never installed, an would be curious to know if it will run on OSX 10.8.3 (Mountain LIon)? I have a new 2013 iMac that I am loading up with software, and would like to consider loading the "DVD Studio Pro 4".

I'd also be interested in knowing of any DVD Studio Pro 4 updates (if any) and where to get them, including the 4.0.2 update ... as, unfortunately the Apple site has dropped update support for this program.

Anyone have any knowledge on this?

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Mar 25, 2013 7:58 PM

8 replies

Mar 27, 2013 4:44 AM in response to Russ H

Russ:

Well, evidently "DVD Studio Pro 4" won't install on an Intel iMac.

Attached (below) is a "screen grab" of the unexpected pop-up window I was first presented with, when I tried to use the DVD Studio Pro 4 Installer .mpkg.

User uploaded file

DVD Studio Pro 4

Minimum Hardware Requirements

• A Macintosh computer with a 733 megahertz (MHz) or faster

PowerPC G4 or G5 processor (G5 required for HD authoring

and playback)

• 8 megabytes (MB) of video memory (32 MB recommended)

• 512 MB of RAM (1 GB required for HD)

• AGP Quartz Extreme graphics card

DVD Studio Pro 4

Minimum Software Requirements

• Mac OS X v10.3.9 or later

• QuickTime 7.0 or later

Nuts! I really wanted to install and use this application.

PS: Just curious Russ .... how are you able to run "DVD Studio Pro 4" on your MBP with 10.7? Is the MBP Intel? Can you tell me the "version" of "DVD Studio Pro 4" that you have installed?

Was there an Intel version made of "DVD Studio Pro 4" that I don't know about?

Mar 27, 2013 5:31 AM in response to DavidMac

DavidMac wrote:

Russ:

Well, evidently "DVD Studio Pro 4" won't install on an Intel iMac.

Well, it all depends on how one acquired the software.

PS: Just curious Russ .... how are you able to run "DVD Studio Pro 4" on your MBP with 10.7? Is the MBP Intel? Can you tell me the "version" of "DVD Studio Pro 4" that you have installed?

Was there an Intel version made of "DVD Studio Pro 4" that I don't know about?

My DVD Studio Pro experience only goes back to Final Cur Studio Pro 2, which was released in 2007. According to Wikipedia (had to look this up) the first universal binary version of FCS (and I assume DVD SP) was released a year earlier – in 2006. Earlier, it was also possible to purchase the software as a stand-alone product.

FCS 3 was Intel only, and of course was discontinued in 2011. Although that's what I have currently running on Lion (and Snow Leopard), I had previously run the entire FCS 3 suite on Leopard and Tiger…and FCS 2 on PPC (also Tiger).

Back to your situation: If your version is universal binary (2006 and later) you can install it, but you'll need Snow Leopard to get the PPC installer. (Even though the apps ran on Intels, the installer was PPC.) Apple offers the 10.6 install disks for – I believe – $29. There are numerous threads in the FSC forum of how to do this. If it is not universal binary, then I don't have any ideas – other than getting a PPC dedicated to DVD authoring. (The machines should be pretty affordable.)

It's possible that some of this history is not precisely accurate. In which case, I trust someone else will step in and correct it.

Good luck.

Russ

Apr 28, 2013 1:41 PM in response to Russ H

To solve the DVD Studio Pro issue, I eventually went out and purchased the older version of Final Cut Studio 3.

Seeing that the Final Cut Studio 3 had DVD Studio Pro 4.2.2 in the "Studio" package .... the DVD Studio Pro 4.2.2 installed with no problem on my 2013 iMac, running on Mountain Lion 10.8.3.

Just hope this version of Final Cut Studio is supported in future Apple OS updates!

Apr 29, 2013 10:23 PM in response to DavidMac

Thanks David,

I have the older version of FCP Studio 2 but it did come with DVD studio Pro 4.2.2. I get the message that this version of DVD studio Pro will not load with that OS. I tried to transfer the App from my old iMac and it opens but all the templates and content are missing. I guess FCP Studio 3 has some upgrades that make the pro apps loadable on OS 10.8.3.??

I have been making the very painful transition to FCP X but I still have 80 % of my customers that want DVDs and since I film large sporting events that I have to encode 50 to 100 seporate files I like batch processing them in Compressor then importing the Mpeg files to DVD Studio Pro which makes burning faster with out waiting for each one to encode. I make a montage and bloopers that go on each DVD so I need to use a DVD template which the new FCPX/Compressor system does not support. I have Toast 11 Pro that I'm able to do all this with but it will not correctly import the seporate audio & video files that Compressor creates. Anyone know of a DVD Autherizing program that will work with Compressor files?

Again thanks David!

Jeff

May 6, 2013 5:35 AM in response to DavidMac

DavidMac wrote:

Just hope this version of Final Cut Studio is supported in future Apple OS updates!

That's a perennial concern with those of us who have these legacy apps. At some point, we know an upgrade is going break FCS3 and those who want to continue to use it will need to take a pass on the upgrade.

Good luck.

Russ

May 31, 2013 12:21 PM in response to DavidMac

Hello David,

I am having exactly the same problem as you had, I have just bought a iMac 27'' with Mountain Lion and after buying Final Cuat Pro X I have realized it is not totally valid to authorize DVD as DVD Pro does. Fortunately I have had my money back and I don´t know what to do. Should I install Final Studio 3 as you suggest and see if DVD Pro is compatible with Mountain Lion 10.8.3 or would it be better to return my new iMac and buying another second hand iMac with another version compatible with my Final Cut Studio 2. I am in my apple care time so I can take any path.

Thank you very much for any input.

Miguel.

Does DVD Studio Pro 4 Work In Mountain Lion OS 10.8.3 ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.