Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Camera Calibration Profiles

Does anyone know of a plug in for Aperature to calibrate the colour profile of a camera? I have seen a process used in Lightroom with an xrite ColorPassport and software to create a colour profile to apply across a set of images to correct to a calibrated image set. Looking for an equivalent process in Aperature.

Posted on Mar 25, 2013 9:30 PM

7 replies

Mar 26, 2013 10:59 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

Not really what I am looking for. I know using the RAW format is the best way to address colour issues. What I am trying to achieve is the correction of all colour parameters using a standardised colour palette in a photo series to calibrate the colour from the point of the shoot right through to output of images to the print process. The Aperature response saying that this is not relevant is not correct for my requirement.

Adobe Lightroom allows the user to establish the camera colour profile for each individual camera. Every camera sensor is slightly different and captures the colour slightly differently. The standard colour palette allows me to correct this in the post process. I have an xrite ColorChecker Passport that comes with a plugin for Lightroom to create a colour profile that is then imported to Lightroom. The profile is then applied to the images. Colour corrected. I don't want to migrate from Aperature to Lightroom. But if I can't get a viable solution the time savings will dictate the migration.

Mar 27, 2013 5:44 AM in response to jonoc26

The section after explaining that if you shoot RAW you don't need to do this does explain how to profile a camera.

Also searching for calibrating digital cameras for aperture brings up this RAW Colour Calibration using Aperture 3 - wentbackward (among others).

So basically the answer to your first question is there a plugin for Aperture to do this is no.

regards

Mar 27, 2013 11:30 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Frank Caggiano wrote:

The section after explaining that if you shoot RAW you don't need to do this does explain how to profile a camera.

Yes, though, that explanation is for using that color profile in the camera ... which Aperture is likely to ignore the profile once the image is imported and apply the canned one-size-fits-all profile that Aperture uses in the background.

What the OP is referring to, in Lightroom/ACR you have the ability to apply several canned camera calibration profiles, as well as any user created profiles. Using these profiles can fine-tune color rendition before any other adjustments are applied ... in other words it eliminates the need for processing presets for a more user preferred starting point which allows all sliders to remain at their default points ... as a bonus, profiles can be created to match color across multiple camera bodies including different models ... and even different brands ... once created they can be applied as default upon import based upon camera serial number and/or ISO as desired ...

While I much prefer Aperture ... I do find the ability to create a color rendition starting point of my own choosing quite a nice feature ... if Aperture is to be considered a "professional" app ... Apple should strongly consider adding the feature in the next iteration ... whenever that will be ...

Mar 27, 2013 11:49 AM in response to ButchM

I agree (after all, that is what profiles are for), but ... I spent a couple of days creating a profile for my Sony a850 using X-Rite's Passport. The best I did was inferior to the one built into Aperture. I learned that:

- the supplied profiles are (or can be) good

- it is time-consuming to make a profile

- it requires very good equipment and some expertise to make an excellent profile.

YMMV.

Mar 27, 2013 12:42 PM in response to Kirby Krieger

Kirby Krieger wrote:

I agree (after all, that is what profiles are for), but ... I spent a couple of days creating a profile for my Sony a850 using X-Rite's Passport. The best I did was inferior to the one built into Aperture. I learned that:

- the supplied profiles are (or can be) good

- it is time-consuming to make a profile

- it requires very good equipment and some expertise to make an excellent profile.

YMMV.

I think I may have spent no more than hour on a single camera profile ... all I used was the Color Checker chart I already owned and the free Adobe DNG Profile Editor app (which is misleading because the profiles work with the native RAW files, you only need to use a DNG file to create the profile) ... nothing too time consuming or expensive about that ...

While I am not too disappointed with the canned profiles that Aperture uses, though what the effort of creating custom profiles for ACR/Lightroom afforded me was the color rendition I prefer, not the rendition that a software developer created for everyone ... Each camera has it's own traits, each photographer has their own expectations ... it's not always about 100% color accuracy, rather it is mostly about pleasing color that reflects your personal taste and expectations vs. one-size-fits-all ...

Mar 27, 2013 3:01 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

It would seem this is the case then unfortunately Lightroom here I come. The colour profile is the straw that breaks the camels back. There are other workflow processes that are simpler and more user friendly in Lightroom. Time is money so I have to save time to make a reasonable income. I wish it was more money, but in reality it is just not to loose money.

Camera Calibration Profiles

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.