Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen flickers after a full restore

I recently had my iMac 27" (mid 2011) into the Apple store for a display repair due to a faulty backlight panel.

The repair was carrier out and i got a new LCD display and backlight panel - job done. As part of the repair they reinstalled OSX 10.8.3 which significantly increased boot up time. Got the machine home, plugged in my time machine drive and did a successful full restore.

When i rebooted and logged in, the screen started flickering on a cycle of every 10.2 seconds. Its been very annoying as when the screen flickers, the active program becomes inactive, so for example, when im typing an email and the screen flickers, i will have to click back into the email to continue typing.

I set up a new user account for my wife on the same machine, and when i switch across to her account, the flickering stops. So its obviously a software related issue specific to my user account as hers is not affected.

Other than create a new account and migrate my stuff across, would anyone have any idea on how to isolate and fix the problem?

Thanks!

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Mar 25, 2013 9:53 PM

1 reply

Mar 28, 2013 10:50 PM in response to BPC78

Since it seems to be software related, there must be a login item that isn't playing nice. When you login to the affected account, try opening the login items pane (system pref > users & groups > select affected account > login items) and taking a look at which apps are starting automatically upon login. Chances are one of these is causing the problem. Try quitting each one of these apps individually to see if you can isolate.

Though I do find it odd that a flickering display ceases to do so when switching accounts. Perhaps a brightness app such as "Shade" or "Flux" is installed and now corrupted?

Screen flickers after a full restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.