Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After a software update most of my macbook apps crash at launch

Hello,

I recently (March 25th) did a software update on my macbook's request and since then, most of my applications crash at launch. For now only Firefox and Mail work correctly.

Another new thing is that it is taking ages for my mac to start: first to get to my desktop and then to get the applications to run.

I am on Mac OS X 10.6.8.

Processor 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.

Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3.

Thank you for your deeply needed help.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 26, 2013 4:35 AM

7 replies

Mar 26, 2013 6:23 AM in response to Hugo21240

You will need the OS 10.6 disks for this procedure.

1. Insert the OS disk, restart and immediately hold down the C key.

2. When the computer boots, click on Install. Don't worry, you will not install a new OS!

3. Go past the language screen, and click on Utilities in the menu bar, then select Disk Utility.

4. When DU is running, select your hard drive on the left, then click on Repair Disk.

5. After that click on Repair Permssions.

6. Quit DU and restart in the usual way.

Apr 1, 2013 6:54 AM in response to Eustace Mendis

As I said after the language screen, it says that Mac OS X cannot be installed. I have to choose between Restore from back up on Time Machine (that i don't have) or simply restart. So I restarted and used DU.

Step 1 was OK.

When I hold the C key the computer boots but never asks me to Install. It goes directly to the language screen. After setting the language It says it cannot be installed.

After a software update most of my macbook apps crash at launch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.