Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does the transition duration vary so much

Sorry, not a very good way of putting my problem. According to the tutorials and instructions, transition times can be adjusted by either double clicking the transition to open the inspector or clicking the cogwheel on the transition. However when I put in the time I want it very often doesn't apply it. E.g. I chsnge the time from 2.4s to say 6s for a long disolve but when I look at the transition time it is still 2.4s or sometimes an arbitrary number. For the project I'm on I need a long final disolve of about 7s. I've put this into the Inspector about a dozen times and it always comes out as 1.9s. I do not use overlap transition just the ordinairy one. There seems to be no sense in this and it makes defining the length of the project and synchronising music a real pain. Anyone else got this problem?

Wilf

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), iMac 11,1 Intel Core i5. 2.66GHz

Posted on Mar 26, 2013 5:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2013 7:06 AM

A transition can be no longer than half the length of the shortest clip to either side. If you need a longer transition, use longer clips, or increase the duration of your photos.

4 replies

Mar 26, 2013 9:12 AM in response to wilfredfromcastleford

It might also help you to read this section of iMovie Help about Transition Overlap. You can set it to Full or Half. One way will preserve the length of your movie, but uses footage that you may not have chosen. The other way makes your movie shorter, but sticks to footage that you have actually edited in.

http://help.apple.com/imovie/#mov3a6201ac

Why does the transition duration vary so much

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.