Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro not starting or Charging

Just received my macbook pro retina with 2.7/16gb/256gb and had an absolute ball using it.

I turned it off now im trying to turn it back on and it wont start up. i plugged the charger in but the charger doesnt light up or anything.

MACBOOK PRO (RETINA, 15-INCH,EARLY 2013), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Mar 26, 2013 5:37 AM

11 replies

Mar 26, 2013 5:52 AM in response to DCSY

Did you get your machine with 10.8.3 or did you just upgrade to 10.8.3 and this is your first time turning if off or putting it into sleep mode. Some others in this forum have reported problems with their MBPr following the 10.8.3 update. Their solution was to take it to the apple store and have the battery unplugged and replugged back in. This has worked with a few people.

Also, when this happened on my MB, it was a bad power supply.

In either case, I agree with the other post that you should take it to an Apple store since it is a brand new machine.

Mar 26, 2013 5:56 AM in response to ScratchSF

I tried to reset SMC, didnt work...

I am not sure what OS it came with but there were some updates i installed, including SMC 1.1 and some other things. total of about 780 mb i think

No open spots for a genius bar anytime soon for me...

Less than 5 hours old and broken already...

Thought apple was better than this...

Mar 26, 2013 5:58 AM in response to DCSY

Computers fail and you don't know when. Maybe it was a factory defect with the computer, or maybe, as you installed a SMC update, it wasn't installed correctly and now the MacBook Pro is unusable. Do you remember if you were installing that update the last time you turned on the computer?

Mar 26, 2013 6:15 AM in response to ScratchSF

Found the thread I was thinking about: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4891912?answerId=21565738022#21565738022

Seems like others have experienced this problem with their MBPr when upgrading to 10.8.3. Take it to the Apple store and have them try unplugging the battery from the logic board. If that doesn't work, ask for a new machine. 5 hours and you should not have a failure.

Macbook Pro not starting or Charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.