Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to Automate or Script the Mail Merge Feature in iWorks?

Hello,

I've been trying to build a production management system slowly over the last few months, my boss is a bit of a technophobe so I've been trying as hard as i can to keep everything in familiar programs, at its core all the system has to do its take information in from Purchase Orders, this is added to a Numbers File, within that numbers file are our Open Order Book showing All orders and 2 "Merge Sheets" all new Orders are Added to the Merge Sheets then onto the Open Order Sheet, those "merge sheets" are then used as a data source for a Pages file "Job Card" (we have 2 job card files once blue one yellow but the process is the same)

Up until now I've been manually merging each time we get a new order, but this happens a lot so what I've been trying to do is Automate the procedure.

Ive created 2 Automator Apps each runs the same sequence just for the two different Job cards as follows:

Get finder Item "Job_Card_Blue/Yellow" > Open Finder Item > a "watch me do" of mail merge > Print > Close Application without saving

The Problem is the Watch me do is a bit of a clunky work around, if I could make it work without the mouse moving over the screen it wouldn't be so bad, even if I could somehow give Mail Merge a Keyboard Short Cut it would also be better.

So my questions, after a large ammount of waffling:

1) is there a way i can "see" and then edit the "watch me do" Script?

2) is there a simpler work around im not seeing?

3) is there an existing script of program I can use? (obviously i know there is Filemaker etc, if it was up to me I'd use a Database, but the owner of company is adimant i use office or easy programs, becuase it needs to be a system i can leave to him once my contract is up)

Any Help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Mar 26, 2013 5:44 AM

2 replies

Mar 26, 2013 6:42 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Yes I've created an Automator Application that does the job, but the "watch me do" function that does the Mail Merge is a rather Clunkey work around, as the mouse moves all over the place, thats the part i want to remove and replace with a script, or work out a different way around it that avoids the "watch me do" function.

Is this Possible? or where/who is there i can ask to write me a script, im not a novice to scripting, but i am a novice to Applescript.

Is there a way to Automate or Script the Mail Merge Feature in iWorks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.