Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Start up problem

Recently I deleted most of the files in. The "MACINTOSH HD" section in finder. My computer froze and the mouse turned into a spinning colorful ball. Because it was so slow I decided to turn it off. When I tried to restart the computer, the apple logo appears ALONG WITH a flashing file symbol with a question mark in side of it, and also a prohibited symbol. I need solutions to get the items in "MACINTOSH HD" back onto my computer in order to restart it again. Thank you

MacBook

Posted on Mar 26, 2013 8:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2013 8:35 AM

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities

You have deleted everything which is in the OS X volume, so now you haven't got any operating system installed. You have to reinstall Mac OS X.

If you were using Mac OS X Snow Leopard or older, insert the Mac OS X DVD, hold the C key while your Mac is starting and reinstall Mac OS X. If you were using OS X Lion or Mountain Lion, hold Command and R keys while your computer is starting, and reinstall OS X

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2013 8:35 AM in response to Gmonteroislas

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities

You have deleted everything which is in the OS X volume, so now you haven't got any operating system installed. You have to reinstall Mac OS X.

If you were using Mac OS X Snow Leopard or older, insert the Mac OS X DVD, hold the C key while your Mac is starting and reinstall Mac OS X. If you were using OS X Lion or Mountain Lion, hold Command and R keys while your computer is starting, and reinstall OS X

Mar 26, 2013 8:50 AM in response to Gmonteroislas

This problem isn't so good, because you have to erase the drive now in order to have Mac OS X installed again. Go to Utilities menu > Disk Utility, select "Macintosh HD" on the sidebar, go to Erase tab and erase the drive.

Another thing you can do is to create a second partition on the hard drive, and install Mac OS X there > http://pondini.org/OSX/DU3.html Then, after installing, open Finder, select the old OS X partition and delete the files you don't need, so you will be able to install Mac OS X now

Start up problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.