Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

An app for additive synthesis with sine waves? Or a virtual DX7?

Hi folks,

I am teaching a course on music and the brain, and I'm looking for a good app to construct tones compose of different combinations of harmonics. Nothing complicated- just simple tones composed of a fundamental frequency and a series of multiples of that frequency. I'm remembering the way the old DX7 used to work, where one of its algorithms just gave you six operators, each one putting out its own sine wave, with no FM. This would be perfect!

Does anyone know of a good virtual DX7, or another app that would do the trick?

Thanks much,

Mike Kaplan

Philadelphia PA

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2.66 GHz core i7 Logic, Garageband

Posted on Mar 26, 2013 8:51 AM

5 replies

Mar 26, 2013 11:12 AM in response to Mike Kaplan

Well, this is really kludgy and labor-intensive, but presumably you could create any number of software tracks with sine waves at the fundamental and all other desired frequencies (using almost any synthesizer for each track) until you get the tone desired - this would be essentially a gigantic chord - then combine them into one audio track, and repeat, scaling the frequencies, and then create an EXS24 instrument from the audio tracks. For a given fundamental tone and all other frequencies (overtones only?), by converting the individual tracks to audio tracks, I believe (Ibut not positive) that you could even adjust the relative phases of each tone.

Mar 26, 2013 2:57 PM in response to The Art Of Sound

Yeah, FM8 is a great synth of that type and can certainly be good as a virtual DX7, I'm not entirely sure what Mike is getting at, but I think its a way of explaining about the way that different frequencies combine to create the particular character of, well, initially a synth sound (all sounds in nature are built in the same way, ultimately), hence the reference.

An app for additive synthesis with sine waves? Or a virtual DX7?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.