Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes wont sync the proper album art. Why?

Ever since i updated to the new itunes 11+ updates, itunes wont sync my music properly. I usually have to spend at least an hour syncing and unsyncing until itunes gets it right and the album art goes to its proper song. When the songs sync they have a black album icon displayed when you look at music app through albums but when you play the song, it displays the correct information but it puts on an album from a different song. Please help. When this happens i usually turn phone off and on, restart itunes and computer but still it takes about an hour to do it. And when you only want to sync one song it will do it but also resync another 200 songs and screw up its album art as well. Help please.

iTunes, iPhone 5-OTHER, iOS 6.1.2, latest iTunes version. Iphone 5

Posted on Mar 26, 2013 9:46 AM

1 reply

Nov 27, 2014 6:27 AM in response to grayfox02

I have the same issue, though it has persisted with ALL versions of iTunes installed on my laptop (across Windows 7 and 8 OS and separate computer devices and numerous iTunes releases) over the last 2+ years.

Apple: Please fix the issue (in iTunes? or in iOS?). I'd hoped (2+ versions ago) that this issue would solved. I dunno, add a button "fix album art sync error" in iTunes.

What I do to solve: I've seen some posts that involve resetting things on the iPhone/iOS device, but that seems too involved and painful. Rather, what I've found to be the only straightforward solution is in iTunes on my PC...to delete all of the Music in my iTunes Library (NOT the raw music files themselves, JUST the library references in iTunes). Once iTunes library is cleared out, I close/open iTunes and then rebuild the iTunes library from scratch. I've got 70 gigs of music...so this takes HOURS. Eventually, the album art will get out of sync on certain random album requiring repeat. I can only tolerate doing this every 6 months or so, meaning I "live with" the mixed up album art. One side affect of the "clear library" is that all of the custom syncing of music I had (albums, playlists, etc.) are lost and have to be reconfigured after rebuilding iTunes library.

Apple, it would also be nice (if you're reading this and considering a resolution in iTunes or iOS) if the iTunes application itself could have a more refined Music Sync menu when syncing with your iOS device, for users with massive (50+Gig) music collections. Like,

• add an option to "export Music sync options" (so that after a library rebuild I can import a customized sync list).
  • add collapsible listing of album artist....with "+" and "-" to expand/collapse. Right now I have to scroll down a LONG way to find artists or albums I want to cherry pick for sync.
  • add a quick filter/search on the Sync Music to help me refine what's displayed would be very handy.

Illustration: Album Art out of sync iTunes 12.0 vs. iOS 8.1

Image 1: How an album looks on my Windows 8 Laptop (in iTunes 12.0). Note the Cover art is correct.

User uploaded file

Image 2: How the album looks on my iPhone4S/iOS8.1 device (album art is from a completely different/random album)

User uploaded file

Itunes wont sync the proper album art. Why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.