Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem exporting image to specific file size

I've had some professional images shot and I can see from the file size in Aperture that they range from 13 - 73 mb. I need to submit them as 72dpi and 300dpi files and they must be between 1 & 3 mb in size.

I'm having no problems in exporting them at the correct dpi but the file sizes come out between 451kb and 1.8kb: 3 of the 6 images are too small, ie under 1mb.

What I'm doing is 'export version', then choosing the preset option of 'jpeg original size', editing it to the dpi I want, setting the image quality at a max of 12.

How can I get these file sizes to be bigger?

Thanks, and please help me quickly because I've a submission deadline approaching! 🙂

Aperture 3, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 26, 2013 10:41 AM

12 replies

Mar 26, 2013 11:15 AM in response to Prudencedigsdeeper

Find it hard to believe that you are exporting images that have an original file size of 13mb + with a quality slider setting of 12 and only getting image files of the size you say you are.

I just tried it on an image with an original file size of 22mb and when using the settings you say you are the exported version's file size is 6.8 mb,

Either the images are one solid color or the settings you think you ate using are not what is really being used.

You need to check your settings to be sure you are really using what you think you are It is easy for a preset name to say one thing while the preset settings say something else.

And just to be sure you are exporting using File->Export->Version and not by dragging the image out of Aperture, correct?

regards

Mar 26, 2013 2:47 PM in response to Prudencedigsdeeper

Well if the images have so much single color in them that they are compressing down to this size at a setting of 12 there is nothing you can do to make the file bigger,

Do they have to be jpgs? Tiffs will definitely be bigger, pngs maybe.

What format are the original files in? If you could post one say to dropbox or something similar I could have a look and see if they behave the same way here.

regards.

Mar 26, 2013 3:40 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

Just tried an experiment. Took a RAW image of a plain white sheet of paper. The RAW file was 11mb. Exported as JPG, original size, quality 12, the exported file is 8mb

You never said what format the original images are in or if you are doing any cropping to the image before exporting.

A more detailed explanation of your workflow is needed to resolve this.As I wrote above if you could post one of the images online it would help.

regards

Message was edited by: Frank Caggiano - The settings in the export window in your screen shot are set correctly to produce the largest JPG image from a give original.

Mar 26, 2013 6:11 PM in response to Prudencedigsdeeper

Since I see you have been creating some special presets for export sizing, I am suspicious that the Preset Original Size is not really that. Every preset, including the standard ones, can be edited to anothere setting. Please use Edit to change the size of this Original Size present to another value, say 4288 X 4288, then quit Aperture. Re-launch Aperture, and immediately change, with Edit, the size to Original Size JPEG. Then test another Export of a Version.

Ernie

Mar 27, 2013 1:43 AM in response to Ernie Stamper

Well that's interesting Ernie. I did as you said, but also exported an image while I had the settings at 4288 x 4288 pixels. The resultant file size at that setting is 1.4MB. The file size when I went back to 'original size' is 795KB, exactly the same as before.

So I thought - if I can go above original size in that way, then can I alter the % to be over 100? I tried at 150%, which it accepted, and I've now got a file size of 1.3MB.

So I guess I've got what I wanted - not that I really understand it, because 'original size' clearly isn't original size at all!

Sorry Leonie - I didn't answer your question - they haven't given me a specification for pixel size as in 4288 x 4288: only 300 & 72dpi, a file size of 1-3MB, and a they must be JPGs.

And thanks for your help Frank - I've tried starting out with JPGs and with TIFFs as the photographer supplied me with both. I'd cropped some of the images but not others. I appreciate you offer of having a go with my images, but I think that - as I can go to over 100% - I've got it sorted now! Just hope there's no deterioration in image quality.

Many thanks everyone! 🙂

Problem exporting image to specific file size

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.