Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect ATv3 to Mac Mini via ethernet and still have airplay function?

I just bought a Panasonic VT50 plasma and a 3rd gen Apple TV. I live in a rural area with limited bandwidth so I'm more interested in the Airplay functionality aspect of the ATV3. I'm interested in buying a new Mac Mini to serve as a media server. If I use iTunes and connect to the ATV3 via ethernet will I still be able to use the Airplay function via wifi from our iPad/iPhones or does connecting the ethernet cable disable the internal ATV3 radio?

Alternately I could connect the Mini directly to the VT50 via HDMI and use Plex but I'd prefer to stay in the Apple environ if possible.

Thanks!

Apple TV, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Mar 26, 2013 11:38 AM

3 replies

Mar 26, 2013 1:28 PM in response to Alley_Cat

Thanks for your reply. I'm mainly interested in Airplay for family generated photos and videos. We have an extensive library of Blu-rays and DVD's and I'd like to make some of that content available on the Mini. I would prefer to use the ethernet connectivity as it should be faster/provide more throughput for high-def files while not using up home network bandwidth that might go to other uses. I mentioned the slow/limited internet bandwidth as it limits my interest in the net based content (Netflix, iTunes rentals, etc...).

Mar 26, 2013 2:24 PM in response to Last Chance Records

I assume you know that AppleTV cannot play content from DVD or Blu Ray.

Video Formats

• H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High or Main Profile level 4.0 or lower, Baseline profile level 3.0 or lower with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats
  • MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640x480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats
  • Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280x720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

Audio Formats

HE-AAC (V1), AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3 and 4), Apple Lossless, AIFF and WAV; Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound pass-through

Photo Formats

JPEG, GIF, TIFF

The Mini connected to the TV via HDMI might be worth considering or if you have enough HDMI ports connect it up too!

Connect ATv3 to Mac Mini via ethernet and still have airplay function?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.