Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Were are masters when Library is moved to External drive?

Hi,

Because I use an iMac and, when I move around and travel, a MBook I coopied my Library to an external drive which can then be connected to either in order to work on my library.

Some of the RAW images were originally loaded to the iMac, while others to the MBook. Are masters part of the AP Library, or do they reside on the HD, in which case - which HD?

Thanks a lot,

Raphael

iMac 21.5"-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.2), Pages for iPhone/iPad

Posted on Mar 26, 2013 2:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2013 2:41 PM

Depends on how you import them.

There are two ways Aperture will handle the original files, the first called managed is when the original is copied into the Aperture library itself, the second called referenced is where the originals are kept outside the library.

Which system is used depends on what settings you have in Aperture when you import the originals. The default is managed so if you did not change anything then most likely the originals are in the library.

You can tell by selecting the Photos icon in the library view of the Inspector, switch to Browser view, selecting all the images in the library and doing a File->Locate Referenced Files.

If any images are shown in the window that opens those are referenced.

regards

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2013 2:41 PM in response to rshammaa

Depends on how you import them.

There are two ways Aperture will handle the original files, the first called managed is when the original is copied into the Aperture library itself, the second called referenced is where the originals are kept outside the library.

Which system is used depends on what settings you have in Aperture when you import the originals. The default is managed so if you did not change anything then most likely the originals are in the library.

You can tell by selecting the Photos icon in the library view of the Inspector, switch to Browser view, selecting all the images in the library and doing a File->Locate Referenced Files.

If any images are shown in the window that opens those are referenced.

regards

Were are masters when Library is moved to External drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.