Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Embed Fonts in Keynote=>PDF

I've created a Keynote presentation in the current version of the application, which uses two non-standard fonts, Chalkboard and Chalkduster. I have exported the presentation to PDF and put it on a web-server so other people can see it. But the fonts defaut to Helvetica or something, on machines which don't have those fonts installed.

Is there any way to embed or render these fonts so that the presentation appears as it does on the originating machine, when it is exported to PDF and viewed via a PDF reader on a Web Browser?

MacBook Pro, 2.9Ghz 8Gb RAM

Posted on Mar 26, 2013 3:30 PM

12 replies

Apr 3, 2013 9:19 AM in response to jonathanshearman

jonathanshearman wrote:

I've created a Keynote presentation in the current version of the application, which uses two non-standard fonts, Chalkboard and Chalkduster. I have exported the presentation to PDF and put it on a web-server so other people can see it. But the fonts defaut to Helvetica or something, on machines which don't have those fonts installed.

When I did a test of this on my machine, the font was in fact embedded. Could you provide a link to your pdf so I can see what is going on?

Apr 3, 2013 11:13 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Tom Gewecke wrote:

When I did a test of this on my machine, the font was in fact embedded. Could you provide a link to your pdf so I can see what is going on?

Fonts are not embedded when using the Keynote export function. Embedded fonts travel with the PDF document, so that a computer that does not have a font installed but is used in a PDF can be displayed. PDF's created by Mac OS X do not travel with the PDF, and these fonts will not be displayed.

If the document properties are shown in Adobe Reader on a computer that does not have the fonts installed that a PDF uses, the fonts used by the document are listed, but no embedded fonts will be listed.

Font embedding can only be achieved when using Adobe Acrobat.

Apr 3, 2013 1:44 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thanks for the replies. I don't have Adobe Acrobat Pro on this Macbook, so I can't use that to embed fonts. (I have it on my work Win PC but of course that doesn't have the specialized fonts on it.) In the end, I simply reformatted the presentation using standard fonts for the online version, which was an OK compromise, but the Chalkduster font in the original was a great look.

Apr 3, 2013 1:48 PM in response to jonathanshearman

jonathanshearman wrote:

In the end, I simply reformatted the presentation using standard fonts for the online version, which was an OK compromise, but the Chalkduster font in the original was a great look.

As I mentioned, I had no problem embedding these and am curious why it did not work for you. If you like, send me a copy of the pdf (tom at bluesky dot org).

Apr 3, 2013 2:57 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

That's very civil of you! But unfortunately, the Keynote version as presented had a number of embedded MP4 movies, so it is much too big to email.

Actually on further investigation, if I create the PDF version and send it from my MacBook to the iMac, the fonts are embedded and do display OK. But, when I uploaded the PDF version (in which the movies were replaced with URLs) to the server via FTP, then the fonts wouldn't render properly in Firefox or Safari, when opened on the iMac. They would default to Arial, although with very odd spacing, which looked terrible.

On this occassion, I will not continue with trouble-shooting as it was a presentation for a very small audience and possibly nobody will even access it, however if I need to repeat this procedure I will look into it further.

FYI if anyone is interested, it was called 'A Brief History of Western Zen', given at the Buddhist Library in Sydney, and the url is http://www.dynamicdata.com.au/pdf/Brief%20History%20of%20Western%20Zen.pdf

Apr 3, 2013 4:00 PM in response to jonathanshearman

jonathanshearman wrote:

if I create the PDF version and send it from my MacBook to the iMac, the fonts are embedded and do display OK. But, when I uploaded the PDF version (in which the movies were replaced with URLs) to the server via FTP, then the fonts wouldn't render properly in Firefox or Safari, when opened on the iMac. They would default to Arial, although with very odd spacing, which looked terrible.

When you are viewing on a Mac, in theory you shouldn't even need to embed the fonts, because all recent Mac's will have them installed. That it would fail like that when viewed in a browser from a server and the fonts are also embedded is doubly strange.

Apr 3, 2013 6:14 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

It gets stranger. I emailed the PDF to my Win 7 work notebook and it displays Chalkduster just fine even though that font is not installed on my work PC.

But it definitely doesn't work when I upload it to the Webserver. I have tried again just now and the PDF displays with Arial instead of Chalkduster, but highly irregular letter spacing, so it looks really tacky.

Anyway, as I say, not a priority case, but I appreciate the responses from everyone. If I do come up with a fix next time I will share it.

Apr 3, 2013 8:20 PM in response to jonathanshearman

jonathanshearman wrote:

It gets stranger. I emailed the PDF to my Win 7 work notebook and it displays Chalkduster just fine even though that font is not installed on my work PC.

That indicates that the fonts are in fact embedded in the pdf.

I put my test on a server at

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/46870715/s/embedtest.pdf

and I assume it displays ok in your browser?

Embed Fonts in Keynote=>PDF

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.