Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

double nat error

Hello -

I recently purchased my second time capsule; the first broke after many years of decent use.

I'd like to have my Time Capsule handle all NAT Port Forwarding, as I imagine it would be a bit more effective at it then my model.

I set up the Capsule to "Enable NAT Port Mapping Protocol", and immediately got a Double NAT Error. Which, I would assume, means I have to turn off the port forwarding at my modem.

Unfortunately, that's where I'm running into trouble. My modem is a Actiontec GT784WNV. There is, remarkably, a place on Verizon's site where they explain how to edit port forwarding functions for this modem, at http://www22.verizon.com/Support/Residential/Internet/HighSpeed/Networking/GT784 WNV_AT/ATLAS6615.htm

The modem settings require you enter a "Starting Port," an "Ending Port," and the LAN IP Address. The last I was able to figure out, I believe. I tried putting in the full range of ports as I gathered them to be (1 to 65535), with my Set Remote IP Address at 0.0.0.0 to use any IP address.

This didn't make my Double NAT error go away. Nor, for that matter, when I opened up Transmission (my bittorrent client) the Randomized port it popped up (60934) showed up as closed.

Any ideas what I can do?

I don't actually have any idea what I'm doing, just want my bittorrent download to work efficiently.

Time Capsule-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.5), With Actiontec GT784WNV Modem

Posted on Mar 26, 2013 8:26 PM

3 replies

Mar 27, 2013 6:42 AM in response to Fenrir Ulv

But I want the TC to handle NAT Port Mapping. So that requires disabling the Port Mapping on the modem. The way this modem is set up, it wants me to set up a pass-through for a certain range of ports.

I know this is a modem problem, not actually a TC problem, but I'm hoping someone understands this stuff well enough they could glance at the link above and tell me the settings to put in on the modem that would maximize the TC working effectively and efficiently.

Any other ideas?

Mar 27, 2013 7:20 AM in response to michelleobrien

I'm hoping someone understands this stuff well enough they could glance at the link above and tell me the settings to put in on the modem

That....is really a question for Verizon support. Actually, it's more than one question, it's three.

1) Is it possible to configure the Actiontec modem/router or gateway ( it is not funcioning as a modem now) to operate as a simple bridge mode modem

2) If yes, how?

3) Will this configuration be supported by Verizon?

I suppose it is possible that a user on an Apple support forum might know the Verizon/Actiontec answers....but I also think that it is extremely unlikely. But, you can wait to see if another user might have an an answer. If it were me, I would call Verizon.

Keep in mind that what you want to to do just might not be possible with the Actiontec device that you have. You might ask Verizon to supply you with a simple modem.

The bottom line here is that your Actiontec modem/router....also known as a gateway....must operate as a simple modem.....not a modem/router or gateway device.....if you want the TC to function as a router for the network.

double nat error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.